How much experience for Galapagos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bati

Reaction score
Hi all!!!
I´m thinking in going diving to Galapagos (Darwin & wolf) but i don´t know how much experience do i need since i read that diving there is not easy.
Can anyone help me with this doubt?
I dove in this places:
-Cozumel (15 tanks)
-Ko Tao (10 tanks)
-Cenotes ,playa del carmen (2 tanks)
-Florianopolis,Brasil (20 tanks) ,very low visibility maybe 12 mts and in night diving 3mts aprox
-Roatan (15 tanks)
-St.Marteen (2 tanks)

Do i need more experience to dive galapagos?
Sorry for my english ,hope is understandeable.

Many thanks,

bati

No one can tell over the internet if you have enough "experience". All we can do is outline the conditions we experienced and let you judge for yourself.

1. Currents can be much stronger than you experienced in Cozumel. They can rip your mask off. They can be much too strong to swim against.
2. The water is significantly colder than anywhere you have been.
3. Surface conditions can be rough enough to make many sea sick. About 1/2 the people we were with got sick, myself included after one dive.
4. You should be comfortable with doing negative entries.
5. You should be comfortable with using a safety sausage and other dive signaling devices.

For example I had an o-ring blow out just as we hit the bottom at Wolf. I made sure my buddy paired up with another diver, the guide knew what I was doing and headed to the surface. Since it was a bounce dive I did a slow ascent but no safety stop. The current was strong enough I was a good +100 meters from the pangas. Far enough they could not hear my Dive Alert. The water was rough enough I could only see them when they were on the "top" of the wave. It took a good 5-10minutes to get their attention with my safety sausage. Long enough I considered using my Epirb. Now no one else in two weeks of diving had the same issue but one never knows....

(That said you could go have no current, no waves your whole time and it be just like diving in the "tropics")
So hope that helps you in judging if you are ready for Galapagos, it is well worth it.

MJH is correct - it's the conditions you have to consider. I had over 500 dives when I dove Galapagos - and I panicked my 1st dive out - I got separated from the group - pushed up against the rocks due to the current - and was in full blown panic. Keep in mind I had 3200 PSI, a whistle, a mirror, an air horn and an Epirb. :) God bless my panaga driver!!! I gave him the sign when I went up in the waves and he was on top of me in seconds (seemed like forever) but I know he was there quickly.

Sea sick - EVERY night. The crossing to Wolf/Darwin was long..........and rough. Nothing worked for me.

You roll off the panga all at once - you make sure you keep your head ducked, hand on your reg and try not to get kicked in the head/face. :)

I make it sound like a nightmare trip - it was a dive trip of a life time. The diving is amazing and the roughest current I have ever been in - but well worth it. We saw a pregnant whale shark - how often does that happen?

Know what you are getting in to - current, temp, vis, etc. I know I had to wear 8 pounds more weight than I typically do in salt water - I floated like a cork!

In addition to what kennedy and mjh have said, if you are a warm water diver and never dove in a thick wetsuit, that alone can present problems. The thick wetsuit, hood, gloves, it's very restricting. Add the physical challenges of swimming against the currents. The thick wetsuit can feel like it's restricting your breathing.

Visability can be poor compared to tropical diving, making separation a real possibility.

Silky sharks in the area have been known to bump divers. Although I have not heard of any attacks or reports of biting, getting bumped by a shark has to be scary.

How do you handle stress ? For some, too many new things on one trip may not be a good idea. For others, they just role with it. Be honest with yourself and your experiences.

First of all ,thanks ronscuba , mjh and kennedy for your reply´s.
I understand that is impossible to know if someone is prepared to dive Galapagos by internet,thats why i wrote the places and the tanks i dove in order for people to have a reference.
Usually i never get panic ,although being bump by a shark is pretty scary.
For the description you made cold water maybe an inconvenience as well as negative entries.I dont no know if i can equalize my ears so fast.I m from Argentina and i think diving south here (very cold water) before Galapagos can be a good experience in order to "handle" cold conditions and thick swimsuits.Do you think this could help?
Is there any way of "training" for currents? i refere to "read" them.....
Can seasick be avoided with meds (dramamine)?

Thanks again,

Bati

HI Bati,
The best experience is always practice...and time, in my opinion! Get in as many dives as you can under a range of conditions...practice up on some emergency procedures, entrances, exits, or rescue drills, and get used to the gear you would be wearing. Hoods, in particular, I found a nuisance to get accustomed to! Seasick levels and remedies vary from person to person. Like Ron pointed out, you want to avoid as many "new " things all at once as possible.

First of all ,thanks ronscuba , mjh and kennedy for your reply´s.
I understand that is impossible to know if someone is prepared to dive Galapagos by internet,thats why i wrote the places and the tanks i dove in order for people to have a reference.
Usually i never get panic ,although being bump by a shark is pretty scary.
For the description you made cold water maybe an inconvenience as well as negative entries.I dont no know if i can equalize my ears so fast.I m from Argentina and i think diving south here (very cold water) before Galapagos can be a good experience in order to "handle" cold conditions and thick swimsuits.Do you think this could help?
Is there any way of "training" for currents? i refere to "read" them.....
Can seasick be avoided with meds (dramamine)?

Thanks again,

Bati

I think it will depend on your system if your seasickness can be medicated. I tried a prescription patch, the prescription pill, meclazine, pressure bands and ginger - Nothing kept my stomach down. :) I never got sick during the panga rides or dives - it was always after the dives. There is no night diving in Galapagos - so after the afternoon dive - we were on the boat till the next a.m. - I missed many a dinner - almost every one. :D

We had to go down quickly due to the currents - you would blow off from the group if you didn't get down to an area where you could hang on till the group got down. There were several dives that the current was so bad that you actually went hand over hand over the rocks the entire dive till it was time to let go and do the safety stop - an event in itself. :)

Diving where you are located is an excellent idea - As Galapagos expert said - practice practice practice.

Hoods..............ew. :D

We had to go down quickly due to the currents - you would blow off from the group if you didn't get down to an area where you could hang on till the group got down. There were several dives that the current was so bad that you actually went hand over hand over the rocks the entire dive till it was time to let go and do the safety stop - an event in itself. :)

We experienced this too. Shooting video was an adventure. On most dives I searched for a rock arrangement where I could straddle with my legs to hold myself in the current so my hands were free to control the camera.

On the closeups with the eagle rays, I had no such luck. Had to hold a rock with one hand while the other held the camcorder pointing at the rays. I must have looked like a funny flag blowing in the wind/current.

All worth it. To see, experience and capture on video. PRICELESS !!!

I would say you need a lot of experience, relatively speaking, to dive in the Galapagos.

I was on a trip in October 2009. The dive operator did a very good job (Quasar) of outlining the realities of the trip. Unfortunately, there were people on the boat that did not have enough experience, IMHO. The first "real" dive, we went out in two pangas to the site. The group was "mixed" at this point. It became very obvious on this dive, that some people simply weren't as experienced as they had stated they were. When we returned to the boat, there was a "mutiny" of sorts, wherein the very experienced divers refused to dive with the less experienced. To the captain and senior guide's credit, they reshuffled the group into the die-hards and the less-experienced.

I would say some experience that would be crucial to have is diving in a lot of current. I think we had maybe 3-4 dives in the whole week where there wasn't current. At Wolf and Darwin, you back roll off the panga then do a very rapid head-first descent to grab onto rocks, so you won't get swept away. If you can't do a rapid head-first desent, you'll most likely get swept away (currents are that strong). You will also need a very good regulator that won't free-flow in the current (many will).

In terms of other gear, I dove a semi-dry 8/7 (Aqualung Solaflex), and was quite comfy. The issue is that it took me 32 lbs of weight to be neutral (I am an instructor, and was not overweighted, as I normally wear 8 in my shorty 2 mm). What is very usefull for this is to have a BC with double width weight pockets (I dove my Aqualung I3, which has them). Almost everyone else had massive weight belts.

Also, you need to be very comfortable doing your safety stops "out in the blue". At Wolf and Darwin, we often would hang on and wait until something big came by, then we would follow the guide straight out into the blue, following whatever he saw. We would then spend the rest of the dive in the blue (and current). All fine and well, but you also might encounter massive "down bursts" of current (you swim along, perfectly neutral, then realize your ears hurt. You equalize, then it happens again. You look, and realize you are being pushed downward by the current...so between kicking up and giving a little shot to your BC, stop the downward descent...being careful not to rocket up too quickly once the downburst stops).

Be aware there is no "rescue" at Wolf and Darwin. There are no helicopters on the islands. If you mess up, it is 19 hours, one-way, against a surface current, for the boat to get you to medical help on one of the islands.

In terms of other skills, you really need to have good mask removal skills underwater, and not get freaked out if your mask gets turned sideways on your face in the current. If you're wearing a full hood (which I recommend), this can be mitigated by putting the hood on over your strap. USE your snorkel, as sometimes you come up and it isn't very pleasant top side. A good snorkel is a must. Have a LARGE safety sausage, and know how to use it effortlessly.

Other stuff? Forget any lights, other than a small BC light. Night diving is not allowed.

Forget the reef hook, too. Plenty of rocks to grab onto (bring gloves!!!).

And definitely bring a camera. This place will blow you away.

on my charter, we had a guy who did his first ocean dive in galapagos. he did great. all depends...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom