How much lift do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have searched through threads but I am still confused on the minimal amount of lift I need for a BCD. I live in SoCal and wear a 7/5mm wetsuit. I am 5 ' 9" and 180 pounds of mostly muscle. In the pool with a steel 80 cu ft air tank I need 20 pounds of weights to sink. How much lift should my BCD provide to be safe?

It should provide enough lift to offset the lost bouyancy from your 7mm at depth plus enough to float your rig at the beginning of a dive. Your wetsuit could feasibly lose 20+ lbs when you get to depth. If you have a steel backplate plus a single steel cylinder, you could be another 15-20 lbs negative. That would put you around 35 lbs of lift needed. Double steel cylinders could be another 10+ lbs so at least a 50 lb wing. A dive skin with an aluminum 80 in the tropics and you could probably get away with a 17 lb wing or even no wing at all.

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2015 at 09:47 PM ----------

Also, there is a sticky at the top,of this forum titled "The Ultimate Wing Lift Calculator".

you live in SoCal, go to Deep Sea Supply, or call them, and talk to them. He'll tell you what you need and you're supporting local business with the best package deal in the industry.

Actually, if you just hang out for a little while, Tobin (DSS owner) usually chimes in on threads like this. He's an opinionated young man, however. :) He sells nice gear at a reasonable price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom