How Much Maintainence in an UW enclosure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I made up my mind and decided to take the bullet by purchasing an EQUINOX HD6. I had 2 liquid image masks flood on me and I'm taking a larger interest in filming my dives.

How much maintenance am I looking for the enclosure? I'm paranoid now since I had two liquid image masks flood on me, though it's probably not a fair comparison.

Underwater housings really do not require a lot of maintenance. For an Equinox housing, your maintenance will be the main O-ring on the back of the housing, anytime you open it. It takes little to no time for that maintenance. For the Orings on the controls, those are done by the manufacturer on an annual service...so you will not need to worry about maintaining them yourself.

What camera are you looking to house in the HD6?

I would also suggest that you rinse off your housing and its controls with fresh water whenever possible but never leave it in a rinse tank. More housings get flooded as a result of rinse tank demolition derbies than in ocean. Paying attention to your o rings are greatly important but you do not need to pull them out and re lube them after each dive. I generally lube before a trip and then when I get back.
Here is an article I wrote a few years back on this subject that still holds water today. O-Ring Care for the Underwater Shooter
As far as your choice of Equinox housing, be very sure that your camcorder fits the housing and that you have access to the cam controls that you will need.
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom