How much money do you really make as a Dive Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samaka

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've had some time on my hands and a few thoughts has passed through my head even though I've been trying to avoid brain activity all together. One of those thoughts was of mathematical nature. Now, when I resort to philosophy in mathematical terms it's normally a supreme sign that I need to get something to do, not to turn into something like John Nash in A Beautiful Mind? Anyways; what was going through my mind was how much my income actually was compared to what I could earn elsewhere, or rather; what I would have to earn elsewhere to be able to get for my funds there, what I get for my funds here. This is how I calculate. I divide the compared price with my salary and then I take the price for the same thing in Sweden and multiply that with the sum from the when I divided my Egyptian wages and badabim badaboom; I've got the salary I'd need in Sweden to get the same value for money as I do here. Now imagine doing the same calculations compared to London or some place that is really expensive

The dive industry is not making you rich. It won't get you a fat number account on the Caymans... (Well it did get me the Cayman number account but it's slimmer than the book listing successful peace-negotiations in the Middle East. And I don't even remember the PIN-code to my Cayman bank-card so I can't use the money anyway.) You don't earn that much on diving. It puts bread and butter on the table, but there are no extra benefits like dental or retirement funds. However my life is richer than if I would earn twice or even five times the money sitting in an office or working the floor in any plant. I do'tork to be able to afford to do what I like during a few weeks holiday. I get paid to do what I love and for me that is more rewarding than all the money I'dotentially earn from a 9-5 job.

My basic salary is 900€ plus what I get in tip and commission; around 100€/week. This adds up to around 1.300€/month. For this money I can live like a prince in Egypt and I seldom have to say: "I can't afford that" On top of this I eat for free on the boat 6 days a week. If I would have the same salary living in Sweden as I do here in Egypt I would probably consider myself fairly well-off. Though, how much that would be depends on how you count. Lets just for fun make a few calculations.

To get the same amount in my bank account in Sweden after tax as I get in my hand here my salary before tax would be around 3.000€. That's not a lot of money so here comes a few additional calculations. All of these numbers are calculated salary after tax!

If I would spend the same percentage of my funds on food in Sweden my salary would have to be better. I can go out and get myself a whole BBQ chicken with rice, salad, a coke and a smile for 7 Egyptian pounds. That's less than 1€. If I go to Mac Donald's I get a large size menu for 25 Egyptian pounds. That's less than 3:50€. I can go out and have a luxury dinner at a nice restaurant and the bill will not exceed 120 Egyptian pounds. That's less than 17€. I made a quick calculation of the top of my head that I would have to earn about 4.000€ after tax in Sweden to use the same volume of my monthly wages compared with the food prices we have here.

To have the same sized part of my pay check go to accommodation/rent my salary would have to be even better. I have an 80m² penthouse with 100m² balcony/roof terrace, sea view, two bedrooms and living room in an absolute prime location. I'm not sure how much one of those would cost in Sweden and of course that would depend on location, but with an educated stab in the dark I'd put a 1.000€/month price tag on a equivalent accommodation along the coast in Sweden. And then I think I'm careful. This means that I would have to earn around 6.000€ after tax for that to be the same percentage of my income.

If I wanted to get the same amount of beer for my earnings these would have to reach 6.955:60€/month after tax.

If I wanted to get the same amount of furniture for my earnings these would have to reach 8.500€/month after tax.

If I wanted to get the same amount of cigarettes for my earnings these would have to reach 9.400€/month after tax.

If I wanted to get the same amount of petrol for my earnings these would have to reach 12.800€/month after tax.

These calculations do not take in account that I'm eating for free six days a week on the boat. This considered the figures would be even better and my income would be astronomical. This may sound all good. However, there is a piece missing from this equation; it only works as long as I stay here. Unfortunately I can take neither my dandy lifestyle nor my penthouse with me to Sweden (like I'd ever want to go there anyway?), or in fact any other high priced country. Then again, this is where I am and this is where my life seems to works the best. Or at least it goes on. One day at the time.

At the end of the day: I'm in it for the diving, not the money. I'll have nothing to retire on but hey... I'm living now...

.....a.....
Red Sea Expert ;o)
WELCOME TO AZIAB

If you want to read more stuff like this you find my status reports on my website.

monetarily speaking, i hope that no one gets in it for the money (as they would have to be absolutely foolish to do so), as it is not a very lucrative job. however, like the visa commercials, the rewards can be *PRICELESS*!

interesting post (i thouroughly enjoyed it). however, my brain was definitely taxed trying to keep up with your "out of the box" thinking!

Samaka, I went pro to give me more reasons/opportunities to get in the water and to help offset some of the day to day costs associated with diving.

Samaka, I went pro to give me more reasons/opportunities to get in the water and to help offset some of the day to day costs associated with diving.

me too!

...a...

There is only one way to end up with a small fortune after a career in the dive industry... That's to start with a big fortune ;o)

DOH!! I knew I started diving for the wrong reasons :p

interesting post....but my head hurts now

If teaching recreational diving made people rich, too many people would do it so no one would make money.

What's a "dive pro"?

Interesting. Many things are not what they seem, and it looks like you have found a wonderful solution of affording diving. Many folks would look at gross pay and miss something good.

Too true. Simply diving for pay is sure to lead to disappointment and disillusionment (IMO) - and possibly bankruptcy! - but diving for the love of it and for the love of teaching/sharing that passion can take you on an incredible and unforgettable journey. I took a 75% pay cut and have had to endure some pretty crazy shenanigans during my "career" as a dive professional but in the end, if I get to spend my time in the water and to share my love of diving Kauai/Hawaii with others, then I consider it to all be worth it.

By the way, Samaka, that was a hell of a post!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom