How much should an airfill be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised more shops don't use air fills as a lost leader. Its the one thing we all need, the barriers to diy are high and you can't get it online. The main reason my favorite LDS is my favorite is they fill all tanks for $5.00 and do a good job. Since I go there all the time to get air I tend to pick other things (gloves, snap bolts...) that I would otherwise by online but I'm there anyway. I think here in San Diego the competition between shops helps keep the price down.

This is kind of my point at what point does it drive someone away? I dont begrudge a business making money on a service they provide, but cant belive that "the high cost of living" can make a 1 dive shop charge $5.50 and another 10 miles away can charge $9 and when you talk to the owner of th cheaper shop he says "hey I have to run the commpressor either way, I'm not playing silly games charging different amounts for different tank sizes" and at the shop I just bought a new henderson wetsuit, my son just did his ow classes at and we bought mask fins snorkle, VIP's Hydros....you get the idea the response to an honest question about airfills gets "$9 is actually still too cheap I'm losing money on every fill" So I guess instead of pissing an moaning I will just take my business to an LDS that apreaciates it.

And we proved earlier in the thread That i does not cost anywhere near $9 to fill a tank at a dive shop. Unless you are trying to recoup the cost of all the free fills on the backs of your paying customers.

I will be signing my son and I up for our AOW this week at our new shop and will prob purchase new lights lift bags etc.My son will be need a new reg set, so it is a shame air fills cost some shops so much.

"Market rates", just like lobster.

Bob
---------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet

Back
Top Bottom