How much should an airfill be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triplecove

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was just wondering. Here in New England within 10 miles of me air fills for my many 72cf steels vary from $6.50 and almost 9 bucks ($8.75). At many of the shops its the same price to fill anything under 100cf. Is this the norm around the scuba world? One shop near me is $12.50 to fill any hp tank. Thats $25.00 for a 1/2 day of diving! I am seriously considering buying a compressor but I dont know if I should.

Sounds like a rip off.

In Monterey it is like 6 a tank, right there at the breakwater. Or buy a 10 fill card for 40.

My LDS is 40 for a 20 fill card. My tanks are steel 85's.

Where I live one dive shop charges $45 a year for 2 fills or 2 rentals per day. Sadly they are too far from me.

Another dive shop charges $7 per fill but a fill card gets it down to $5. They charge tax on this. They also want $75 per tank for unlimited fills (3x+ time the price compared to the other shop and rentals not included )

Another dive shop charges $5 per fill but a fill card gets it down to $4. They don't charge tax on this. Annual fills are available for those who ask. Negotiation indicates you might get it for $100/yr.

Not saying one or the other is a RIP. I actually usually get my fills at the $5 shop since the fills are usually 3300 cool. The $4 tends to be 2700-3000 cool. It really comes down to how much gas I need for a dive and the days of the week they are open.

YMMV...

Unfortuantly, what you have said seems to be the norm here in Massachusetts. Most shops near me (North Shore) charge between 8 and 10 a tank.

Anywhere between free (my dive club) to £5 for a single. Max £10 for a twinset. My local muddy puddle charges £3/£6 respectively.

High pressure fills air- $7.00
High pressure EAN32- $14.00

Our LDS separates the costs by LP and HP.

Seems to be the going rate in the NE.

Anyone who owns a compressor will tell you it's not cheap to keep and maintain. Throwing a few bucks towards fills keep me from owning my own compressor.

I pay $7 for a single air, $10 for nitrox singles. $20 for nitrox doubles. $25 for custom blend (anything other than banked 32% or air).

I get these prices from a local who owns his own compressor. I got tired of screwing with the local shops and luckily he did too :)

Keep in mind that when you buy that a compressor that free air has a cost to it. I figure that my Max air 35 costs about 4.00 just in filter cost plus a few pennies in fuel but a lot in time. I have to sit there and baby sit it while it takes 45 minutes to fill my HP 130 and then run out and drain the filter moister every 8 to 10 minutes. I then have to prorate the cost of the compressor ( $3,500) toward each fill. If I had an option like a dive shop that sold me a air card for 100 per year I would grab 2 and feel Like i was getting a deal.

Free air does not exist, remember that your dive shop pent $10,000 on that fancy compressor and either has to be saving for the next one or pay the mortgage on the current one. I would not think 10 bucks for a properly filled tank is out of line

Our local Dive park charges $6 for a low pressure air fill and $13 for a LP Nitrox32 fill.
High pressure air is $10 and Nitrox32 is $15.

Books of fill tickets can reduce the price, but I forgot to mention to the DW that my book of 40 HP Nitrox fills cost $520. Cut the price to $13 for nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom