How much should an airfill be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would a hp airfill be more? It seems to me that if you have compressor that can do hp fills, it would be the same as lp fills. They shop I use charges 5.00 for an air fill and 10 for nitrox. If you belong to the local dive club you can get a dollar off. I use hp 100's and it doesn't cost any more than a LP fill.

Why would a hp airfill be more? It seems to me that if you have compressor that can do hp fills, it would be the same as lp fills. They shop I use charges 5.00 for an air fill and 10 for nitrox. If you belong to the local dive club you can get a dollar off. I use hp 100's and it doesn't cost any more than a LP fill.

I hate filling HP cylinders. I am not 100% but I would assume the higher pressures cause more wear and tear on the compressor.

The shops are realizing that they have a captive audience with less than a dozen commercial fill options here in the state, even with 3 of them clustered in Portland.

My LDS is at $7 and from what I hear the 2 local competitors are no less. With a 25 fill card I think I'm at $5.25 which is still small money. That's any size/any pressure. At least on shop has grumbled about a premium for HP but I haven't been near those whips in years.

Mixed gasses aren't really on the radar screen here. A few dabble in it but not in what I'd call a commercial scale.

As for owning a compressor you need to have the right circumstances to make it anything other than a hobby indulgence.
1) Long travel distance to a fiil source
2) Exorbidant fill charges
3) A total inability to get an even remotely good fill.
4) Intent to blend

In my case I work in the neighboring city and have invested in enough cylinders that leaving them to cool for a top-off rarely laves me short. It does mean that I am paying to maintain a few cylinders more than I would otherwise.

As much as I am a gear and tool junkie I can't make a rational decision to own a compressor. In some cases depending on usage and brand the cost of maintaining filters nearly equals the price of fills. It takes a long time, if ever to pay back the capital, maintenance and utilities if a competent shop is logistically reasonable. Nevertheless it is the ultimate ticket to diving independence.

Pete

---------- Post Merged at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:00 PM ----------

I hate filling HP cylinders. I am not 100% but I would assume the higher pressures cause more wear and tear on the compressor.

Not really, the air runs up the stages either way. The banks fill slower towards the high end but that's just Boyles law. Depending on how they manage their banks it can make them run the compressor more frequently to maintain the top end. You can consider additional starts as some extra wear.

Pete

Here in Puerto Rico I pay $7.00 for HP100's and $6.00 for AL80's for air here in San Juan. West coast I can fill either for between $4.50 to $5.00 depending on the shop. Nitrox runs around $2.00 to &3.00 more per tank depending where I go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Probably more so the manual labor of actually getting a HP tank full. Fill, cool, top. Rinse. Repeat. To get an HP to rated pressure isn't a 5 minute task.

Well my son and I dive moosehead lake alot which has a 2.5hour round trip for refills so that is why we invested in a bunch of old 72's I fill them all down here in Ma and haul them up there and leave them. The problem with this is the shop I have been dealing with in Ma will only give you a fill sticker and will not sell an air card. That doesnt do me much good with 10+ tanks that each will get used about 10 times. I have filled @ Gene's place (All Resource divers) in Sebec, great price, great guy but about 45min out from my way home. How long would it take a small compressor to fill a lp tank? And if the filters are changed by hours of use, will it be more cost effective for my situation?

Well my son and I dive moosehead lake alot which has a 2.5hour round trip for refills so that is why we invested in a bunch of old 72's I fill them all down here in Ma and haul them up there and leave them. The problem with this is the shop I have been dealing with in Ma will only give you a fill sticker and will not sell an air card. That doesnt do me much good with 10+ tanks that each will get used about 10 times. I have filled @ Gene's place (All Resource divers) in Sebec, great price, great guy but about 45min out from my way home. How long would it take a small compressor to fill a lp tank? And if the filters are changed by hours of use, will it be more cost effective for my situation?:confused:

Sorry for the double post i lost my connection

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom