How much "taco" is allowed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin, just out of curiosity, what is the failure modality if a wing is sandwiched between a plate and the tanks. I imagine that this condition exists all the time at the bottom of doughnut wings.

Oh, and I don't use a drysuit... (yeah, lp72 dubs are a light twinset - a different discussion altogether)

Tobin, just out of curiosity, what is the failure modality if a wing is sandwiched between a plate and the tanks. I imagine that this condition exists all the time at the bottom of doughnut wings.

Take another look at your plate, wings and tanks.

Most wings and cylinders are longer than the typical back plate. That places the lower arc of a donut wing below the back plate, but above the bottom end of the cylinders.

You never want a wing that's longer than the cylinders, as the lower portion of the wing will tend to fold under the end of the tanks when you sit down.

One of the key reasons I'm not a fan of HP80's.

That "modality" is called a pinch flat.

Tobin

In Mexico and Texas the taco effect is not a problem, in fact it is encouraged. On the east cost you really want the wing sandwiched between the backplate and tank.

Finally someone figures it out. How much taco is allowed depends on A) What you eat for breakfast, B) what is your capacity for gluttony, and C) How concerned you are about cholesterol and other diet issues.

For me, the answer used to be about 6/week, then I decided to cut back.

Maybe a face-to-face meeting to discuss the taco effect is in order. I suggest here:
http://www.tacotacosa.com/

Edit: one thing I forgot, it's very important when discussing the taco effect to consider the similar-but-larger "burrito" effect, usually caused by using a doubles wing on a single tank.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom