How much to service a reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shadow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently had a regulator serviced. It's an older US Divers Conshelf 21 primary, US Divers Octo, US Divers Conshelf 21 first stage. There's an inflator hose for the BC as well as a drysuit inflator hose.

I'm sure my LDS did a very thorough job, and the technician, as well as the owner, are really experienced, knowledgeable people. I'm wondering about the price, though. I paid $80 for labour, plus another $105 for parts. Parts consisted of o-rings, washer filter, diaphragm, h/p seat, l/p plates, back-up ring, filter, circlip, and ty-wraps. They gave me the used parts back, and they don't look like they'd be worth $100!

Just curious, what kind of prices are people seeing for a good, thorough service? Are parts that expensive? How long does it take, an hour, two, more?

And how often does this need to be done? Is annually really necessary? Or should it depend on how many dives one does? For example, service every 100 dives or something?

Your thoughts/experience would be appreciated!

$25-50 gets most regs done here. And I know with ScubaPro, if your regs are still in warranty the parts are free. You just have to pay for labor. And that is cheap here also.

Shadow once bubbled...
Just curious, what kind of prices are people seeing for a good, thorough service?
Before I started doing my own, I paid $40 labor for a Genesis reg, and $80 for a ScubaPro reg (parts included).
Are parts that expensive?
I pay $8 per kit (retail), so $24 to overhaul a first and 2 seconds.
How long does it take, an hour, two, more?
Assuming a classic balanced piston and two barrel poppet seconds. Disassembly, clean/dry/lube, reassembly, adjusting, and final testing (leaks) takes me about two hours (but my ultrasonic cleaner won't hold all the parts at one time).
And how often does this need to be done? Is annually really necessary? Or should it depend on how many dives one does? For example, service every 100 dives or something?
Who knows? If you're using your warranty, then annually is a requirement. Some people wait until they notice a problem. I check the intermediate pressure occationally, and wait for the seconds to leak a little. Sometimes I have to make adjustments more often than annually, but a couple of my backup seconds are solid after 2 years.

While I'm not familiar with that particular kit, prices on reg service can vary greatly as a function of the thoroughness of the service and th price of parts. It seems like the service provided was very thorough based on the parts returned. So while on the high side, particularly if that was USD, it doesn't seem out of range. The price of parts looks quite high even if you assume a 100% markup and CAN, but parts for older reg may be harder to get. Scubapro kits for 1st & second stages were available at Diveinn in the range of 5 to 10 USD per stage. On ebay they are generallly available for 12 to 20 USD. It's pretty hard to rationalize $100.00 unless there is a supply problem.

My Mk20/G500 is just over the 4 year mark (around 200+ dives) and is still using all the original parts. Good care & monitering with periodic cleaning & lube seems to work OK so far. Older designs may not use as durable LP and HP seats as more modern regs.

Labor sounds about right but the parts sound high. If I were you I would ask them why. There might be a good reason.

The most expensive rebuild kit we buy is about $45 and we only mark it up alittle for shipping and stuff. Other kits sell for as little as $8. OTOH, parts that are not included in the rebuild kit are sometimes expensive. Like I said I would ask them.

Shops in this area normally charge $15 per stage plus parts.

YIKES... that's a lot.. I have an Apeks Reg.. (purchase out of country so NO warranty)

I just paid $65 labor (for 1'st / 2nd / octo overhaull)

parts for all three were only $45 grand total after tax was $118 and some change...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom