How much to service a reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$195 total (for parts and labor) for annual service!!!?

That's way too high. I pay only $70 for annual servicing of my 1st, 2nd, octo, guages, and computer. Free parts are included in the warrantees.

There is even a dive shop in my area that will comp the labor fees of the first 2 annual services if you buy the reg from them.

It's probably time to shop for a new reg with a good warantee. It'll be a lot cheaper.

Keeping in mind we're using different currency, I generally pay around $15.00 per stage for my SP gear. No idea on my Apeks gear yet.

Heh. I had the same experience this past winter. I took in my circa 1996 Dacor Quantum reg for general service, for which I expected to pay about $60.
They replaced a stage cause it was "pitted" and charged me $275. And didn't call me to ask if I wanted the work done. (I would have said no).
Growl.
I stupidly paid it anyway, cause I was about to leave for Spain and needed my gear.
I need a new dive shop.:really:

The cost on the conshelf 21 kits are $13.95 for the 1st and $6.95 for the second stage. Thats from Mar-vel. Sounds like a classic scuba rip-off to me. I paid about $20 for the kit on ebay for my 21 and serviced them both in about an hour or so taking my time. There's nothing to the conshelf parts kits and servicing them is a piece of cake....

42.00 usd for labor
16.95 usd for 1st stage kit
8.95 usd for second stage kit
3.50 usd for AIR

Even with shipping both ways you would have come out way ahead. Unless you had some hard parts replaced the parts pricing sound really high.

Hallmac

I thought the parts price was too much. I thought the labour was okay. I think in the future, my husband will just have to hold his breath and surface! :D

My reg is a Mares Abyss - anyone know prices on parts and how complicated they are? It's two years old, but I bought it very lightly used, so I doubt there's any warranty.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Just kidding! Anyhow, I have to hang on to him - he's my dive caddy! Not every buddy will also be a caddy, you know!

Besides, it would take far too long to train a replacement... I've been working on my man for two decades now - and he was pretty darned good to begin with - not to mention a lot younger, and easier to train. A replacement of a suitable age may not be trainable at all - you know the saying, "can't teach an old dog new tricks!" :D

Does anyone have any info on Mares regs? I haven't seen any parts pricing, schematics, or any service info on them at all. I don't have any Mares regs but it would be interesting to know more about them and to have the info available if anyone ever needed it. We all need to get together and develop a knowledge base on our equipment. I'm collecting all I can in case I ever encounter anyone that needs it. I even thought about scanning everything I have and uploading it to my site, but that would take forever, take up a ton of space, and I'm sure be frowned upon by several companies like scubapro. I'd also have to buy a scanner... I quess I could burn a CD with all of a certain reg's info on it... that would be a cool idea...

I'm reviving this old thread of mine as it's time to service my Mares Abyss (second stage is leaking slightly). Can anyone give me an idea of prices for first and second stage kits for this reg? I'm not doing the work myself, but I don't want to get ripped off again for outrageous parts prices. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom