How much to tip dive masters and boat crew in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are budgeting for a trip and do not want to explore the morality or economic theories of tipping, but just want to tip like a typical American tourist, a nice crisp $20 bill after a 2 tank dive will suffice. It seems rather standard, at least among those being dropped off at the resorts down south.
A bill with no marks or tears, otherwise it won't be very useful to the locals.

I'd have to call it a generous tip at 25%, but if you feel good about it - cool. 👍 I tend to think in the low end of Gordy's #1 camp that a $10/12½% tip is nice for most, while I personally carry at least $15 for an 18¾% tip as I know that I am more work than most.

If you are budgeting for a trip and do not want to explore the morality or economic theories of tipping, but just want to tip like a typical American tourist, a nice crisp $20 bill after a 2 tank dive will suffice. It seems rather standard, at least among those being dropped off at the resorts down south.
I don't stay at resorts and don't want to be stereotyped by the country of my citizenship. But if others do, then your advice certainly applies.

I don't stay at resorts and don't want to be stereotyped by the country of my citizenship. But if others do, then your advice certainly applies.
You will be stereotyped regardless, just a matter of which one.

You will be stereotyped regardless, just a matter of which one.
Ha. Fair enough. But if I am able to choose one to avoid, I would prefer to avoid the "walking wallet" stereotype of Americans. I didn't get that back in my backpacking days; I sure looked the part of the penniless backpacker making my way through Mexico. Then again, they probably figured I was a trustafarian.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom