How much weight can you put on your tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7mm farmer john, 7mm shorty, hood, gloves, boots. All fairly new.
Have you done a weight check yet? I am 162lbs, but with that same set up would sink like a rock with 18 lbs on my weight belt (Stainless backplate, Jet fins, and a steel tank).

Personally I am not a fan of ankle weights.

I recently filled a tank for a customer...one of those old super long 6.9" - 2475 psi aluminum "floater" tanks?

He had 8 lbs of lead duct taped to it.

What gear are you using that you are wearing 36 lbs of lead; e.g neoprene drysuit with 2 sets of wooly bears and no ankle weights ?

When I was new I was put on 46lb of lead. In the same set up he is in. I have dropped 14lb of lead in the last 4 dives. With another 4 likely being ditched next dive. It all comes down to new diver, or skillful diver.

Have you done a weight check yet?
Yes, I weight check before every dive. I've already shed 6# since the first dive with the new wetsuit.

I am 162lbs
I'm guessing you're wearing a medium. I'm 180 and wearing L farmer john and XL shorty. That's a lot of extra neoprene.

7mm farmer john, 7mm shorty, hood, gloves, boots. All fairly new.

Man, a drysuit seems like it'd be much easier and warmer than all that neoprene! Wow.

Man, a drysuit seems like it'd be much easier and warmer than all that neoprene! Wow.

You're not the first person to say that :D. I'm never cold in the water, which is odd because I'm freezing in my office right now! I was in for over two hours yesterday and was still fine. I also like the flexibility (no pun intended) of the two piece wetsuit. In the middle of the summer I can dive the lakes with just the shorty. I may migrate to a drysuit at some point, but I'm pretty happy with my setup for now.

Yes, I weight check before every dive. I've already shed 6# since the first dive with the new wetsuit.
Could you please share what tank you are using? The weight check should be performed at the end of the dive with 700 psi or less (500 psi being the standard) in around 15 ft of water. Your wing should be completely empty and then start chucking weight out until you start to float up, then grab a pound or two back. You might even have to dump air at the end of the dive to get your air pressure towards the 500 psi mark. Shore dives work perfect for doing weight checks since you can just drop the extra weight on the bottom. My guess is you can easily drop another 6 lbs if not way more.

I'm guessing you're wearing a medium. I'm 180 and wearing L farmer john and XL shorty. That's a lot of extra neoprene.
Yeah I am a medium, but have also tried a full 4/3 under my 7mm before giving up and switching to a drysuit. Now I wear really thick undergarments and carry about 25lbs of lead, which is more than I ever needed wearing two wetsuits.

You are not a huge guy, so work on dropping more weight off. At the beginning of the dive you might even have to swim down until the air inside the different layers of suit works itself out. That is what I have to do when weighted correctly in my wetsuit with a steel tank.

Hope that helps at least a little.

Are you using an ALU tank? Out here in SoCal those of us that don't dive dry use 7MM. I use a two piece farmer john 7MM with a 5/3 hooded vest. Many of us, probably most of us, here using that much wet suit use steel tanks, that takes 6 lbs off. Switch to a BP/W with a steel plate and that's another 6 lbs off, add a weighted STA and take another 6 lbs off. That's 18 pounds of weight off your belt or pockets by changing your gear configuration.

Could you please share what tank you are using?
I don't own a tank, I rent, so I have to adjust my weight accordingly. Normally it's an aluminum 80.

The weight check should be performed at the end of the dive with 700 psi or less (500 psi being the standard) in around 15 ft of water.
I rarely have the same amount of air at the end of a dive. Most of my diving is as an instructor helper (gopher, flag dragger) so I come up when everyone else comes up.

Your wing should be completely empty
I'm still using a BC, but the process is the same. I'm always empty coming up.

My guess is you can easily drop another 6 lbs if not way more.
I think you're right, and I really hope so!

Hope that helps at least a little.
Yes, thanks.

---------- Post Merged at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Are you using an ALU tank?
Usually, I'm still renting. I will buy steel when I buy one.

Switch to a BP/W with a steel plate and that's another 6 lbs off, add a weighted STA and take another 6 lbs off.
That will be my next major purchase. That's where I got the idea of tank weights. Already have it speced out, just saving up to buy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom