How much weight can you put on your tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found this thread while looking for information on how much weight to put in the 5lb max non-drop pockets in my new (to me) oceanic flex bc. I only use 12lb total, so I'm thinking maybe 2lb in each pocket? I realize I need to play around and practice, but I don't have any weights to play with except my 3lb ones and would like to buy weights without wasting money buying the wrong ones. thanks.

I'm looking to get some of the weight off my belt, and I'm thinking of adding some tank band pockets. Is there a limit as to how much should go on the tank? I currently have 30 on the belt and 6 in the BC pockets. I'd like to move as much off the belt as possible. Will too much on the tank throw my trim and/or balance off? Second question, are any of the pockets better than the others?

There is no way you need 36lbs of ballast. Monkeying around with trim pockets should wait until you have your weighting figured out.

Food for thought... If you put too much of your unneeded weight in a place where you cannot ditch it and you have a wing failure, you are going to have a bad day. At 33ft, your wetsuit is under twice the pressure meaning it lose as much as half its buoyancy. At 66ft, ambient pressure is 3x that of the surface so your wetsuit might lose as much as 2/3 of its buoyancy. Wing failure at 66ft with 36lbs of lead and too much not being ditchable equals very bad day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom