How much weight can you put on your tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rarely have the same amount of air at the end of a dive. Most of my diving is as an instructor helper (gopher, flag dragger) so I come up when everyone else comes up.

Here's a hint...at the end of your next dive, hang out at the surface and reduce the amount of air in your tank to 500 pretty easily. I bet you can figure out how you can do that :D

If you are diving with classes often you should be well aware of how to do a proper weight check because it's a very common question/concern/problem with newer (and not so new) divers.

Yes, I weight check before every dive. I've already shed 6# since the first dive with the new wetsuit.

I'm guessing you're wearing a medium. I'm 180 and wearing L farmer john and XL shorty. That's a lot of extra neoprene.

I would be very surprised if you need that much lead. Multiple layers of suits, can trap air. Have you tried snorkeling with that much lead on the belt? If you are wearing an aluminum tank, your weight for snorkeling should not be much different than what you need for scuba. Try this out in shallow water where you can stand up...

I would be very surprised if you need that much lead.
when I spoke to Tobin about how big a wing to get, he had me see how much weight it would take to sink just my wetsuit. I put everything in a mesh bag, squeezed all the air out, and added weight until it sunk. 36#

when I spoke to Tobin about how big a wing to get, he had me see how much weight it would take to sink just my wetsuit. I put everything in a mesh bag, squeezed all the air out, and added weight until it sunk. 36#

I think that would be unusual. When I was your weight (or a little more) I needed about 26-28 lbs to be heavy in shallow water. that was with a similar configuration for suit.

There is no possible way to squeeze all the air out. Unless you use a commercial quality vacuum packer. Not one of the POS Walmart types.

I just received the two XS Scuba weight pockets I ordered, but for the life of me I don't see how one will fit on the cam band, never mind two. I had envisioned them being taller and narrower, but they are 4-3/4" wide. I was going to put one on each side, up against the plastic backplate of the BC.

B6AE2C5A-998D-4EF6-A3A0-DE1C6478EB8B-7531-00000218D8FE7DEB.jpg

Am I looking at this wrong, or do these pockets and BC not work together?

Of course you will want to be able to jettison enough weight to make a difference. Have you looked at Tobin's (DSS) plate weights?

I am hoping that is a 7mm 2-piece suit.

I just received the two XS Scuba weight pockets I ordered, but for the life of me I don't see how one will fit on the cam band, never mind two. I had envisioned them being taller and narrower, but they are 4-3/4" wide. I was going to put one on each side, up against the plastic backplate of the BC.

B6AE2C5A-998D-4EF6-A3A0-DE1C6478EB8B-7531-00000218D8FE7DEB.jpg

Am I looking at this wrong, or do these pockets and BC not work together?

If you remove that rubber piece on the strap, they should fit OK. You may have a problem with the loose strap unless you got the pouch with the velcro surface that will hold it.

Why use soft weights that are loose and make more drag when you can use a hard weight on the cam band?

I am hoping that is a 7mm 2-piece suit.
correct

If you remove that rubber piece on the strap, they should fit OK. You may have a problem with the loose strap unless you got the pouch with the velcro surface that will hold it.
Thanks, they do have velcro

---------- Post Merged at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Why use soft weights that are loose and make more drag when you can use a hard weight on the cam band?
I'm cheap, I already have soft weights :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom