How much you need a macro lens for c-5050?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roswin

Reaction score
I just bought my brand new c-5050. I really enjoy macro photography. I wonder how much you really need a macro lens since the c-5050 seems to have great capabilities in macro.

The macro capabilities of the 5050, including super-macro, are fab.

Adding macro lenses will give you more flexibility and the ability to do some cool stuff. I just added two INON 165s and can't wait to start playing with stacking them!

But first I would really master the camera as is and then add new lenses & a strobe. YMMV

alcina:
The macro capabilities of the 5050, including super-macro, are fab.

Adding macro lenses will give you more flexibility and the ability to do some cool stuff. I just added two INON 165s and can't wait to start playing with stacking them!

But first I would really master the camera as is and then add new lenses & a strobe. YMMV

I have 5050/PT015/D180 and I've just bought INON 165 (only one!); it's not easy to use and with only one INON165 I take photo very similar to 5050-SuperMacro mode.

Can you give me any advice?
I use it in macro-mode with full zoom, it's correct? (it's very difficult to focus!)

Thanks a lot
Massimo

You will find the following to be very useful although it applies to the Oly lens:

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=567

The macro lens adapter will not get you greater magnification than you can get with supermacro mode using the c5050, unless you stack them.

What the adapter will do, is allow you to achieve maximum magnification from further away (2-3 inches) than in supermacro mode(1 inch). Being further from the subject is very useful with skittish creatures. The other big advantage to a macro lens adapter is that you can use the flash/strobe more effectively. In supermacro mode, the camera's flash only works in slave.

The keys to getting good results with the macro lens adapaters:

1. Put the camera in Macro mode and zoom ~75% (80mm?)
2. Get no closer than 2 inches to the subject and no further than 3 inches.
3. Use a modeling light to help with autofocus, especially in dim or dark places.

DSAO,
Jim

In addition to the great info you can get here, try going to www.wetpixel.com and www.digitaldiver.net for more info, reviews, tutorials, etc on underwater digital photography and equipment.
Maria

I have an Inon 330. With that macro lens and maximum telephoto, I've taken pictures of a pygmy seahorse from 2 feet away. The same is true of the nudibranch pictures from Lembeh in my gallery. Given my strobe setup (Nikonos 105, which fires at maximum in TTL mode, so I have to set it manually to full, 1/16, or 1/4), its nice to be able to have a lot of flexibiliity in terms of the distance from my subject.

The problem with the Inon 330 macro lens is it can take a while to screw it on and off, especially if you're wearing 5mm gloves (I don't have a PT-015, I have a Patima C5050 underwater housing, I don't know if its easier with a PT-015). You can still get great shots without the macro lens. So, if you're going to shoot in an area that will mostly have non-macro shots, you're probably better off making due with the built in lens, just so you don't wind up missing shots while you're taking the macro lens on and off (I missed some stuff at Point Dume the last time I dove because I had my macro lens on). The nudibranchs I posted in my So. Cal album did not involve the macro lens, but they still have plenty of detail (I wound up reducing those shots so they would be wallpaper size). If you're going to shoot nothing but macro, or dive in an area that has mostly macro shots (like Lembeh Straights), get the macro lens, it'll help.

jlyle:
You will find the following to be very useful although it applies to the Oly lens:

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=567

The macro lens adapter will not get you greater magnification than you can get with supermacro mode using the c5050, unless you stack them.

What the adapter will do, is allow you to achieve maximum magnification from further away (2-3 inches) than in supermacro mode(1 inch). Being further from the subject is very useful with skittish creatures. The other big advantage to a macro lens adapter is that you can use the flash/strobe more effectively. In supermacro mode, the camera's flash only works in slave.

The keys to getting good results with the macro lens adapaters:

1. Put the camera in Macro mode and zoom ~75% (80mm?)
2. Get no closer than 2 inches to the subject and no further than 3 inches.
3. Use a modeling light to help with autofocus, especially in dim or dark places.

DSAO,
Jim

Thanks Jim,
very nice informations. I'll try next week-end!!!

Last question: do you know if it's possible to use macro lens (INON 165) also in SuperMacro mode? I tried but without any result!!!

Massi65:
Thanks Jim,
very nice informations. I'll try next week-end!!!

Last question: do you know if it's possible to use macro lens (INON 165) also in SuperMacro mode? I tried but without any result!!!

Interesting question. It should work, but you will then have the problem of no flash (except for slave). I'd stick with macro & zoom.

I forgot to add that if you watch the LCD and move the camera in until the image starts to sharpen before half pressing the shutter, you will find it easier to use autofocus with the lens.

Report back on how you did.

Jim

jlyle:
Interesting question. It should work, but you will then have the problem of no flash (except for slave). I'd stick with macro & zoom.

I forgot to add that if you watch the LCD and move the camera in until the image starts to sharpen before half pressing the shutter, you will find it easier to use autofocus with the lens.

Report back on how you did.

Jim

Thanks Jim,
last Sunday I tried to follow your advice with a good result! (I used macro lens INON 165 with macro mode and zoom 80mm).
I have to improve myself but it's a good starting point.
I also used to move the camera until the image starts to sharpen before pressing the shutter!
I will try with super-macro (with external flash) and I will tell you the results...

Thanks again
Bye
Massimo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom