How necissary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

009m

Reaction score
I am new to diving, and haven't had any experience in wetsuits. I have a Pinnacle Elastiprene comming, but my question is, how necissary are rash guards under wetsuits? I'll be diving in cooler water in Hawaii if that makes a difference.

It's not, really.

There are two reasons I know of for wearing a "rash guard" under a wetsuit:

1) It makes it easier to put on your wetsuit. Laura swears by this. I haven't found it to be the case.

2) You have something on when you whip off your westsuit top or do a partial "peel down" during a surface interval. The rash guard provides a modicum of cover without adding the bunching that a swim suit would.

Ian

marcinny:
Rash Guards are not necissary at all under wet suit.If you looking for more termo protecton buy ticker wet suit or chicken vest.

Regards

Marcin
I agree. Fabric under a wetsuit is useless.

Skins and rash guards are useful when diving without neoprene as they provide some sun, stung and scrape protection.

Old thread

Pete

Thanks alot, the replies were helpful. Being a noob, I'll figure it out as I go, but the SB here has been very helpful. I live in Wyoming, so Dive contact is somewhat sparse. Thanks again!

let me add this. i dive Bare wetsuits, and i wear a rash guard. here's why, while i love my Bare suits, i hate the seams that runs down the length of the arms. i have found that after a good day of diving, that under the length of my arms gets irritated from the stitching. but now with the rash guard on, that is not the case. the one thing i do like about the rash guard is that during SI's if you feel the need to take the top half of your suit down, it helps in getting it back on.

Bill

Whether I need it for the wetsuit or not remains to be seen I guess. I will just have to try my suit out and see what happens. I still want a rash guard or vest for snorkeling though.

009m:
Whether I need it for the wetsuit or not remains to be seen I guess. I will just have to try my suit out and see what happens. I still want a rash guard or vest for snorkeling though.

Half the fun of being a new diver is discovering what gear meets your needs. Enjoy the process!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom