How often are you asked for C-card and/or dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C- Card pretty much anywhere I'm not known.

Log - never until Egypt

Explanation of Egypt. I was informed that I needed 50 logged dives to dive the Red Sea. I really hustled to get the 50. It was OK since I could just download my computer and have my buddy sign it. I found out when I got on the boat that it was just in case the National Park police asked for it. I was never required to produce it.

i've never been asked to show my log and i normally only show my aow and my nitrox card if people don't know me. i also carry my solo card just in case i need it.
so far i have always had to show a c-card except on a liveaboard trip in the red sea. i was the only one diving the occasional nitrox tank.... also without card. this was in line with the rest of the "safety & support" as the divemaster in charge had his focus on booze and weed (was his last trip on this charter...go figure). great diving, though!

OldNSalty:
If that doesn't beg for a follow - up question I don't know what does. Is the story behind it as interesting as it sounds?

I don't find it particularly interesting anymore, but you may. PADI filed a lawsuit against a now defunct web site to force them to remove an article I wrote which contained both facts and opinions comparing the standards of entry level classes of three agencies, including PADI. In the process, they subpoenaed all documents in my possession that contained any mention of PADI, copies of my c-cards, a log of all my dives (I forgot that when I posted above), me to give a deposition and probably a few other things that don't come to mind right now, it was a considerable list, some of them listing things that didn't exist.

NWGratefulDiver:
Even by then (2005) it was an old story, and I can't seem to find the original article that caused the lawsuit.

Walter, is it still around?

It is my belief that Diverlink no longer exists and therefore the article is no longer available from that source. I still have it in MS Word format. There was a forum about the lawsuit here on Scubaboard (it included discussion about the article and the lawsuit, but not the actual article itself) which I believe has been moved to the back room. The last time I asked about it, I was told it was available to anyone who asks to see it. I assume that policy is still in effect.

Just ran across this. Some interesting reading would be about Don Dibble vs PADI in the mid 80's. PADI lost that one also.

About 2/3s of my dives are with one of several related dive orgs (their boat, their DMs, their instructors, their planned dives). I know all of the captains and most of the DMs of this org. I always am asked for my card, and required to record my number on the waver on every dive with them. I would be suspect of any dive org that didn't check the card. Who know what else they aren't checking?

I have never been asked for a log -- which is good as I don't have one. Once, when I was on a trip) I was asked for my log diving as the local conditions were a bit rough. The operator wanted a log, showing recent experience in the open ocean. A quick discussion was all that was required.

Just ran across this. Some interesting reading would be about Don Dibble vs PADI in the mid 80's. PADI lost that one also.
If I recall that was the case where the court decided that PADI was not a legitimate non-profit.

If I recall that was the case where the court decided that PADI was not a legitimate non-profit.

Ahhh, someone else with a good long-term memory. This is when brand P started it's corporate layering. P Ameirca was sold to International P based in Panama. I think the 3 top execs sold P to themselves for about $200, 000 knowing they would rake in $2 mill in dues the next month. All of this is of course "allegedly." Undercurrent of Sept. '85 has some good reading.
I was in a Course Director workshop 20+ yrs ago with one party to the suit. His side was interesting.
And, I have no dog in the fight now or then.

It's interesting that C-cards are all about training (variable dependent on agency) and not at all about experience. Checking logbooks is one way to sample experience. To my knowledge, only one agency, SSI, has an experience-related card (?100, 500, 1000 dives). I have no idea how they issue or verify the experience cards, does anyone? The combination of training and experience is probably the best way to judge diving competance.

Always asked for c-cards when diving or tank fills-except at LDS. Never asked for dive log but occasionally asked about number of dives.

Back
Top Bottom