How often do we say "we need a celebrity" to promote scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you think a dive reality show will need to feature prominently to be attractive to viewers? Danger, risk, drama, oh yeah... and sex.

Every commercial break will be proceeded by someone going OOA, getting shot with a speargun, or stealing someone else's boyfriend/girlfriend. A reality TV show about diving will either do one of two things:

1. Feature enough danger and drama to be interesting... and in doing so scare more people away from diving than it attracts
  2. Accurately represent diving... and in doing so become the first show in the history of television to actually be cancelled in the middle of an episode

Unless you think a good ol' fashioned "PADI vs NAUI" dust-up is sufficient drama to keep people glued to their sets.

I think the main focus here is exposure. The celebs or even a reality show is a way of catapulting into view any sport or activity. Fishing, gold mining etc... Whether it sparks the adventure or thrill seeking side of you or it captivates an audience who gets something else out of it. It does a way better job than doing the present ," NOTHING"! Having a reality show about scuba would be a great thing. Heck I am not a big tuna fisherman but I love watching the reality show about tuna fishing, it really captured my interest. In my opinion being hidden in a corner is no solution. Scuba diving offer all the elements necessary for captivating an audience. There is danger ( which brings excitement and suspense). There is challenge ( which triggers those who desire a challenge) learning to do things technical or not in a certain way, doing it right / equally doing it safe, can give the show a sense of victory or accomplishment. Last is showing the feeling of exploration and discovery. Obviously the talent of cinematographers and show producers will be key in creating the mood that can really captivate an audience and ultimately make a good show. But it can be done.

Its just a matter of when.

Cinematography? Seriously?

Reality TV has become so widespread because it's cheap to produce. Cheap talent, cheap cameramen, cheap equipment, cheap producers, no writers, etc. This is why those shows suck. (the absence of interesting or compelling content notwithstanding)

Even consider a well-produced TV sitcom or drama. There's a reason these are set in one-room apartments, a bar, a hospital, or on the streets of NYC, etc. Location, location, location. Location = money. An LA soundstudio or a Brooklyn street corner is cheap and easy. Where would you like to shoot your great show about diving? If it's going to be any good from a diving standpoint... it's going to be in the Cayman Islands this week, Palau next week, Fiji the week after that, etc.

Who's going to shoot your TV show? When you want to shoot a TV show in NY or Califirnia there are literally thousands of cameramen, lighting guys, sound folks, etc. Beyond meaning they are plentiful and available... they are inexpensive.

The fact of the matter is that doing a show that features diving prominently - and showcases it in a good, positive fashion - will be ridiculously expensive, logistically difficult, and exquisitely boring.

This is really a celeb !
Leo Messi.

Attachments

• Leo Messi.jpg
    Leo Messi.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 158
Cinematography? Seriously?

Reality TV has become so widespread because it's cheap to produce. Cheap talent, cheap cameramen, cheap equipment, cheap producers, no writers, etc. This is why those shows suck. (the absence of interesting or compelling content notwithstanding)

Even consider a well-produced TV sitcom or drama. There's a reason these are set in one-room apartments, a bar, a hospital, or on the streets of NYC, etc. Location, location, location. Location = money. An LA soundstudio or a Brooklyn street corner is cheap and easy. Where would you like to shoot your great show about diving? If it's going to be any good from a diving standpoint... it's going to be in the Cayman Islands this week, Palau next week, Fiji the week after that, etc.

Who's going to shoot your TV show? When you want to shoot a TV show in NY or Califirnia there are literally thousands of cameramen, lighting guys, sound folks, etc. Beyond meaning they are plentiful and available... they are inexpensive.

The fact of the matter is that doing a show that features diving prominently - and showcases it in a good, positive fashion - will be ridiculously expensive, logistically difficult, and exquisitely boring.

I understand where you are coming from. Let me see if I can convey my idea a little better.First I want to set the back drop of a typical scenario for a possible show of this kind.
Lets say it starts with a cheap reality of a dive boat captain and his crew operation. Showing all the trails and tribulations that go with it. Showing how while their are struggles their are rewards as well. If produced correctly and you have great editing and camera angles, coupled with a great story, it is possible to achieve a great reality show. IMO.

Do you think that the reality of "the trials and tribulations of a dive boat captain and crew" are going to be attractive - or repulsive - to a non-diver?

For the show to be interesting there needs to be drama, intrigue, excitement, etc. Invariably, a reality show about diving is going to to be an embarrassment as it will make diving look dangerous, divers look like idiots, and dive professionals look like @ssholes.

After all, isn't every reality show essentially about idiots and @ssholes in dangerous and/or embarrassing situations?

Last edited:
Reminds me of "Catching Hell" - which after a show or two - you have seen it all... Spearfishing but still the same concept I think...

Reactions: RJP
The only scuba reality show that might be entertaining would be some sort of scuba boot camp, maybe a "Celebrity Scuba Bootcamp"
Have A Navy SEAL's style class and run a bunch of bikini clad stars and idiots like Justin Beiber through a hell week type training program. The objective being to give people something to laugh at. We know how people love to watch stars fail at something. Maybe even get some ex football players in it that actually might pass. And then some little cutie like Jessica Alba could dive circles around the others too.
Forget about what's 'real' we've already decided that something real would be cancelled in the middle of the first episode.
It's all about entertainment.
And if you think reality shows are actually real and not staged then I have a big red bridge I can sell you a share of ownership in.
There's actually a supposed "real" reality show coming out called Un-reality.

Last edited:
The only scuba reality show that might be entertaining would be some sort of scuba boot camp, maybe a "Celebrity Scuba Bootcamp"
Have A Navy SEAL's style class and run a bunch of bikini clad stars and idiots like Justin Beiber through a hell week type training program. The objective being to give people something to laugh at. We know how people love to watch stars fail at something. Maybe even get some ex football players in it that actually might pass. And then some little cutie like Jessica Alba could dive circles around the others too.
Forget about what's 'real' we've already decided that something real would be cancelled in the middle of the first episode.
It's all about entertainment.
And if you think reality shows are actually real and not staged then I have a big red bridge I can sell you a share of ownership in.
There's actually a supposed "real" reality show coming out called Un-reality.

Exactly to my point. That by being staged or having a script or a story line it doesn't have to become a boring flop. That's why some of these shows like survivor or huge running shows like deadliest catch have been running season after season. I was just trying to point out how these shows posses the power to attract a huge following and keep them captivated.

Let me be the first to ask if the are any dive boat operators who might consider the possibility of doing a reality show. Would you think you have what it takes to make a good show and why? Be confident and remember you are not alone, producers and all the TV professionals involved are who help to create the show a success. You provide the substance and guts of the show they will know best on how to best pres plenty of shows to date that prove other wise.

It would be silly to ignor that our current society has found a great interest in reality shows. They are successful for a reason. Saying that Scuba diving has nothing to offer as a reality show is very short sighted. You can not be so sure of this. You have to first give a try and give a chance. I believe it has all the elements to make a great show.

I am sure I am not alone on this!

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2015 at 09:06 PM ----------

The only reality scuba show I would watch would be a competition between instructors from different agencies competing in various dive sites at tasks instructors should be qualified to do. Behind the scenes sidebars from divers and.non divers and potential divers about their impressions of the I instructors their equipment choice and use and overall skill.

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom