How often do you check your gauges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I check mine every few minutes, more often at depth, not so much because of greater gas usage as because of the possibility on walls of changing depth without realizing it. I don't track the time per se as much as noticing where I am relative to the features on the reef. As I note the changing landmarks, I take a quick look. I don't check any less often now than I ever did, given that I like breathing just as much as always, and an equipment problem might show up on the gauge before I notice anything else.

At least every time I take a photo. Got in that habit with film where there weren't that many photos, but I've maintained it after going to digital. It helps that I have my air integrated computer clipped where I can read it without touching it. (Oceanic Data Pro clipped to my upper right D ring.)

At least every time I take a photo. Got in that habit with film where there weren't that many photos, but I've maintained it after going to digital. It helps that I have my air integrated computer clipped where I can read it without touching it. (Oceanic Data Pro clipped to my upper right D ring.)
Every photo?

I check my SPG more often when on single tank with no redundancy maybe 2-3 times once i reach half tank
once past half tank if I want to spend a couple of minutes to do a photo or video i check SPG before i take shot
If im on penetration dive i check before penetration and before entering any tight or narrow passages once i reach TP I seldom look at SPG until I leave penetration/overhead but will swap regs to keep trim

I'm a beginner diver, so quite frequently because I'm not that comfy yet. IMO though everyone should check at least a few times in the first few minutes to make sure there aren't any gear issues. (A single quick check might be enough for a slow to moderate leak)

Another 'every 5 minutes' camper.

My 'internal' clock used to it (from training, usually at 6 minutes, a 'failure' happened because you didn't check XY or Z at 5 minutes ..... diving and other lifes)

I also use it as a gauge on how task loaded a dive was (maybe we're doing photogrammetry, recovery, exploration, or just silly fun). If I found that I didn't check my gauge (and valves and everything else) during the dive, I'll then look back at why I didn't, and see if there is something I could do better next time (gas selection, equipment streamlining, team awareness, task familiarity, etc).

So, how often is enough? Can't say for sure, but regular intervals that make sense for you, while mitigating the risks of looking at it not often enough....

_R

Still a newb, but about every 5 minutes.

We are at about 350 dives, a good portion of those are shore reef dives alone w my buddy (husband). I read once, "every time you communicate with your buddy, ask them their air consumption & vice versa". And when checking the spg, also check depth, time of dive, NLD, & oxygen/nitrox loading. It seemed reasonable, So, I do.
Before beginning our dive, we have agreed on a dive plan - a turn around time/depth, max depth, & general direction based on current - all which provide a basic idea of what our air should be at certain points in our dive (based on time, current, & depth). Therefore, when checking, I usually have a "guess-timate" air amount in mind & I check to confirm I am around where I think we should be at that point in the dive. Sometimes, if we are communicating a lot, (back & forth) we won't keep asking each other, but I am risk adverse, somewhat Obsessive, so I tend to check frequently. Also, my husband burns his air more quickly than I, so I do want to keep track of his air, anyway, & not just mine.
As the OP questioned, I have also considered the possibility of becoming complacent after diving for awhile, & have decided to I'd rather be OCD about our air, than wish I had. :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom