How often do you clear your mask?

How often do you clear your mask during an average dive?

• Usually never after the initial clearing

Votes: 67 34.7%
  • Once

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • Couple of times

Votes: 56 29.0%
  • 4-6 times

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • 7-10 times

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • Dozen or more times

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • All the same if I wore a mask or not, I am constantly clearing it

Votes: 8 4.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How many times do you clear your mask during a regular dive? Don’t count in the first clearing before/when you submerge but how many times do you need to clear because of mask leaking/flooding? Or maybe some other reasons you clear your mask like constant fogging you can't beat?

Just curious as I have to clear a lot, and I always envy divers who barely seem to touch their masks unless something exceptional happens (like the famous fin kick right on the forehead etc).

Depends on my shaving.:D
With a good shave,....Never
With a 24h no shave,....Very often.

Maybe once.

But it took me 5 masks to get to that point. The other masks, I had to clear all the time.

(Hint: You mask doesn't fit :wink: )

Generally only once every dive, but it depends if I get "the famous fin kick in the forehead."
I often just breath out of my nose, because since the edge of the mask is kept under my hood, the air bubbles up into the top of my hood.....a cool feeling!!

(Hint: You mask doesn't fit :wink: )

I know. None have. Life is hard with a dorky face!!!

I got tired of looking for awhile and just suck water through the nose. Gets harder during cold season though, so I might give it another try.

Well, if I forget to put on the anti-fog I tend to clear it a lot because I am letting water in to clear the fog. If I remember to put on the anti-fog I clear once.

In our class, I was rather glad I'd picked up a mask with a purge valve, as I was learning I needed to trim the beard back a little to minimize whisker leaks (my beard is such that I've been mistaken for ZZ Top before, despite not being able to sing a ZZ Top song from start to finish if my life depended on it).

I was clearing my mask often, even in the relatively shallow pool. I'll see in the Y pool this week if a bit of trimming corrects that.

I know. None have. Life is hard with a dorky face!!!

I got tired of looking for awhile and just suck water through the nose. Gets harder during cold season though, so I might give it another try.

Have you tryed the mares liquidskin.:confused:

All the fricken time! I've gone through ~5 masks and it's always the same. The new mask will be great about about 5 dives or so, then it'll start flooding or giving me a monster headache.

My current mask, a Scubapro Scout, has been doing pretty darn well so far. More than 5 dives on it and no headaches and minimal flooding. And given the super cheap $30 price tag on it, I'm pretty happy with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom