How often do you get your reg and/or BC worked on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone, just a quick question. I have a high-end reg i got about 1 1/4 years ago. I've done 30 dives with it. Should i get it serviced? I'm planning another 35 dives this August. I also got a BC at the same time, it's a DiveRite Transpac II. Are you supposed to have the bladder looked at? Thanks a lot,
Austin

Get the reg serviced, but as for the BC just give it a good once-over and make sure it holds air well.

Once a year for the Reg, every other year for the BC.
Like my LDS says; "It is life support equipment"

dlndavid:
Like my LDS says; "It is life support equipment"

My impression is that the folks saying that are usually more interested in their well-being rather than mine.

With good care, a quality reg should go at least a year and 50 dives without suffering from a need for service. If you have gone 1.25 years, warrenty issues should already be mute. If the IP is good and it is breathing well, I'd continue diving it. Unfortunately, service often creates as many problems as it prevents. If you want to guard against reg problems spoilling a trip, get a reliable backup kit.

Austin:
Hi everyone, just a quick question. I have a high-end reg i got about 1 1/4 years ago. I've done 30 dives with it. Should i get it serviced? I'm planning another 35 dives this August. I also got a BC at the same time, it's a DiveRite Transpac II. Are you supposed to have the bladder looked at? Thanks a lot,
Austin

It needs service at least once a year even if you only did 30 dives on it. The reason is that even if stored in a closet the rubber parts will age and maybe oxidize. That and a valve seat can take a "set" just by spring pressure.

If you dive more frequently you may need to take the reg in for service more freqnuently than the minimum once a year.

THe shop I bought my BC and Reg at didn't charge me for service. They said Aqualung supplies free parts for life as long as I keep up th servie

Depending on the reg it varies from 1-2 year service interval. Although every year they should be checked. Even with the regs that only need to be rebuilt every other year, as parts wear the reg may need to be tuned.

For example:
Scubapro - service every year, free parts for life if serviced every year
Aqualung - Apeks line at least, service every other year, check yearly, parts for life every other year.

Your manufacturers policy should be outlined in the manual you got with the regulator, or check that companies website.

Check your manual and warrantee as well.

awap:
My impression is that the folks saying that are usually more interested in their well-being rather than mine.
Quite understood, I didn't know whether to laugh or what at such a cheesey line.

Ok, thanks. It's an Apeks line. I'll get it serviced. How long does it usually take, a day or so? Thanks again.

Austin:
Ok, thanks. It's an Apeks line. I'll get it serviced. How long does it usually take, a day or so? Thanks again.

It's about an hour of work that can take weeks or more to be done. Sometimes longer to be done right. Make sure you are clear on time, cost, and work to be done before you contract for service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom