How often do you get your regs serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps get an apecs reg course adn be certified and do your own. I would think that over 10 years teh course will pay for itself and teh kits are probbly 10-15 each if you know the right source. my mk25's i think is 9-13 eACH.

Bulk opinion on this post makes perfect sense but is there any sense in maintaining manufacturer warranty on regs? I dive Apeks and if I do not service them every year then I loose the free parts. My reg sees 25 - 50 dives a year and I am wondering if it needs annual service after so little usage. Also makes me wonder if I should bail out of the free service just to save money on longer service intervals?

I follow the MFG recommendations and get them serviced every year or 100 dives which ever comes first (and I hope it is the dives). Seals and O-rings age and crack, springs lose there spring etc. Never hurts and it is cheap enough to do to keep the warranty in place and to ensure your equipment is working properly.

I did my last dive on April 22, 2006, before I left on my all expenses paid vacation to sun and sand courtesy of Uncle Sam's Travel agency (I can't recommend them, the accommodation's sucked and the entertainment, well that was exciting.) I had my regulators serviced. When I returned in December of 2007 I took my equipment that had not seen the water in all that time and had it serviced. Overkill? Yes, probably, but better that than Melvin Kill. So what can go wrong with gear sitting? Rust, O-rings dry out and crack, springs get out of spec, critters take up residence etc. Not a service tech so I am no expert. I do however remember the story a few years back in Lessons For Life in the back of a magazines about the guy who had his gear serviced, did a dive or two, put his gear away for a couple of years and then took it out and dove it. No need for servicing, why not save the money? The funeral cost a lot more than the servicing would have. A little moisture inside the first stage, resulting in rust, shredded O-rings at depth and catastrophic failure of his regulator at 100 feet. Did that really happen? I don't know. I do know that I prefer to error on the side of caution.

I am sorry. I thought it was clear my post was a joke when talking about Star Trek.

Ok I will forgive you just this once! ............Unless you do it again where I will have to forgive you again...and again......etc etc and on and on ...............................................:wink:

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2014 at 06:11 PM ----------

I follow the MFG recommendations and get them serviced every year or 100 dives which ever comes first (and I hope it is the dives). Seals and O-rings age and crack, springs lose there spring etc. Never hurts and it is cheap enough to do to keep the warranty in place and to ensure your equipment is working properly.

I did my last dive on April 22, 2006, before I left on my all expenses paid vacation to sun and sand courtesy of Uncle Sam's Travel agency (I can't recommend them, the accommodation's sucked and the entertainment, well that was exciting.) I had my regulators serviced. When I returned in December of 2007 I took my equipment that had not seen the water in all that time and had it serviced. Overkill? Yes, probably, but better that than Melvin Kill. So what can go wrong with gear sitting? Rust, O-rings dry out and crack, springs get out of spec, critters take up residence etc. Not a service tech so I am no expert. I do however remember the story a few years back in Lessons For Life in the back of a magazines about the guy who had his gear serviced, did a dive or two, put his gear away for a couple of years and then took it out and dove it. No need for servicing, why not save the money? The funeral cost a lot more than the servicing would have. A little moisture inside the first stage, resulting in rust, shredded O-rings at depth and catastrophic failure of his regulator at 100 feet. Did that really happen? I don't know. I do know that I prefer to error on the side of caution.

I agree, if you only dive every other year or two the risks may well go up and warrant additional servicing. For people diving regularly I think are more in tune with their gear and thus service it on an as needs basis. Depends on the age of the gear as well and how it is stored etc etc.

(Can see the "army" in you coming out. Be prepared. Not a bad thing either particularly when tech diving. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best).

as a seller and service center for most all dive regulators made for over 50 years in calif. I think we as an ind. shoot our selves in the foot because most people who learn to dive and dive dive less than 20 times per year. Why should they buy a reg when they can rent one at the resort when we charge them 60 to 150$ to service there old reg when they can rent the latest mod at there resort. on maui hi they charge the same price gear included so why pay for over weight Babbage. If you have a little oring leak so what it may take one breath of a 45 min dive like a sherwood dry blead so what when you get back take 10 min and replace the 50 cent oring. why charge so much when all they need is a fast soap or bucket test ip check and a quick look you get the customer in your store and takes less than 5 min of your time and you may sell a new toy for his trip. you should check your gear before your trip

How often do you get your regs serviced?

i have a set I bought in 2010, they have probably done 100 dives at most. Should I get them checked out?

Why don't you open a survey for this post: onece every 6 months, 1, 2, 3, 4 years and as needed. ?

Apeks regs go in for the annual service. I am 17-60-40 dives annual dives on these regs, so I don't think it is unwarranted. I have no reason to distrust the service the LDS I bring them to does; I have had zero post service issues so far. I do check IP regularly myself, FWIW.

That is fairly obvious.

Unnecessary service is an opportunity for service error. Yes, o-rings do have a finite shelf life. But that number is in the rqnge of 5 to 40+ years depending much on material and storage environment. Rust only occurs with defective parts. Verdigris may occur with brass but is fairly easy to prevent with good user care. Absent good user care, even annual service may not be enough to avoid problems that could turn a regulator into scrap metal. Failure to service when needed will cause leaks and performance problems, but is extremely unlikely to lead to a dangerous catastrophic failure. Such failures are much more likely caused by user or service errors than by material aging.

So just which side is the "side of caution".

The majority of problems I have seen with (other peoples) regulators occurred after they were serviced (butchered) by the typical retail dive store "service tech" who is typically clueless and would not be safe changing the spark plug on a lawn mower.

N

I don't "get my regs serviced" I service them my self when they need it. I have sold all my old regs and replaced with a brand that does not play games with replacement parts. The "free parts for life" is a line of BS the manufacturers have been giving us for years. If you don't believe me just go down to your local dive shop and ask for your free overhaul kit. I'm willing to bet that you come away empty handed. Free means free not free with a $90 service.

100_0360 (Small).jpg

This was my typical work day for many years. It just pisses me off when a SCUBA manufacturer tells me I'm not capable of rebuilding a piece of equipment with less than a dozen parts.

This was my typical work day for many years. It just pisses me off when a SCUBA manufacturer tells me I'm not capable of rebuilding a piece of equipment with less than a dozen parts.

I don't think that he is really telling you he does not think you are capable. I think what he is really telling you is he is afraid you are quite capable; perhaps more capable that the tech in his authorized dealership. So, to prevent you from seriously competing with his authorized dealers, he does what he can to keep you from getting the parts you would need.

In any case, &^%# him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom