How often do you use your compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very rarely. compasses aren't big fans of massive lumps of metal

Do you dive in a stock tank?

mainly wrecks. a compass isn't needed for a majority of my dives. they're off of a live boat, you follow the shot down, swim along the wreck, pop a dsmb before you ascend, boat picks you up. drift dives are either inflate your dsmb on the surface, or as soon as you hit bottom. boat follows you and picks you up when you're done.

I always wear my compass. It used to be on my console, but when I went to a naked SPG I started using a bungee mount on my wrist.

When diving the St Lawrence, all you really need to know is north = back home to Canada while south = better have your passport 'cause you're popping up on the American side. Locating a certain spot often requires taking a heading. Ocean dives, other than boat with a line to a wreck, I always take headings. Even when diving in the quarry I will use the compass for practice.

It is interesting to note that my son constantly pulls left, and I to the right. Nobody can maintain a straight line on their own. Unless you are on a line or following a known contour / landmark, a compass is the only real way to know whether you are going in a straight line.

Never. I either dive with a DM or someone who knows how to use a compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom