How old can u scuba dive to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

41 and you're asking this question? Don't tell you no longer buy green bananas. Seriously, you are below the average of scuba divers, and have lots of time. That doesn't mean you should waste it watching life go by. Get out there and dive, and leave the worrying to those who need to.

I'm far from being too old to dive, but I'd suggest that it's when they are no longer able to make the bend to take their fins on and off!

Actually, I think being too old to dive means being a danger to others in the water, and being unable to perform certain tasks that are necessary for diving, such as valve drills or other physically-demanding things.

Thanks, the reason I ask is because I am 41 and considering getting certified. I just want to know how many good years I got left in me.:)
You must be kidding?:rofl3: 41 is a great age to start. You probably have some money to go diving and buy equipment and you will probably have conquered many fears and dealt with a whole lot of baloney by now. I plan to be teaching OW in the pool and in the sea until I kick the bucket. Rememder Jacques Cousteau! The granddaddy of SCUBA diving! Just try to keep fit and healthy and stay within your comfort zone (unless you are like me and you just love getting uncomfortable!):wink:

I had a student aged 92 once. He cancelled at the last minute because he'd decided to go on a 2-day solo sea kayak to the neighbouring island (20 miles each way).

You would've beaten me,but he didn't go.:D
My oldest where a couple she 79,he 83.:rofl3:
And they still dive.:14:

my answer----as long as you can keep a (valid) drivers license(after all, you have to be able to get to the dive site)......

my answer----as long as you can keep a (valid) drivers license(after all, you have to be able to get to the dive site)......
Naw! By then he'll be going out with a twenty five year old Jessica Alba type DM, she'll drive him to the dive site and HELP HIM PUT ON HIS EQUIPMENT!:rofl3:

I know the answer to this question varies depending on the condition and health of the individual. I just want to know a general age that a normal person in average to good health can safely scuba dive at. In other words, at what age is a person considered too old to dive or should stop diving?

I have a friend who still dives who recently celebrated his 80th birthday ... he's my role model ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have a friend who still dives who recently celebrated his 80th birthday ... he's my role model ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

bet he drives.......:)

Thanks, the reason I ask is because I am 41 and considering getting certified. I just want to know how many good years I got left in me.:)

Definitely go for it ... I got certified at age 49, and will be doing my 2,000th logged dive this week-end. My ex-wife and favorite dive buddy was certified at age 53 and will be doing her 700th dive at the same time ... we recently returned from Indonesia, where she celebrated her 60th birthday with three wall dives in Bunaken National Park.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I got certified in 2004 at the age of 50.

I am actually now in better shape than I was at age 25.
I am now 51 pounds lighter than when I got certified and I row (on a rowing machine) about 4.2 miles in 30 minutes on a daily basis (except when leaving for diving early in the morning :))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom