How powerful should my video lights be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

benbda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am trying to find a lighting system that covers as many bases as possible for reef, wreck and macro lighting - I know specific lights may be best for specific subjects but from what I have read it seems that salvo, halcyon or green force 50 watt lights are good systems. Before I invest though, is a 50 watt system a good way to go? is 150 or 250 watt lighting too strong for close range? any advice on a good quality, multi purpose system will be gratefully received!

ps. only diving to max 60ft in relatively clear and sunny conditions.

You can ALWAYS iris down very bright lights, but if you don't have enough light, you're stuck. I'd buy the brightest lights I could afford and enough battery for the shooting I intended to do.

I agree with PerroneFord, that more powerful is generally better. Only problem is cost. The 50 watt HID video light setups typically cost $3000 or more. If money is not a consideration, go ahead. You might also want to check out Light & Motions new LED lights. You can adjust the output and instantly turn them on/off. 2 big features that HID doesn't have.

You say you will dive 60 ft. max, in clear sunny waters. In those conditions, I think you will get good wide angle video using your red filter no lights. For macro shooting, you don't need dual 50 watt HID. A less powerful system will work for macro.

What kind of camcorder and housng do you have ?

Thanks Guys - I have spoken to Green Force and they have or are about to release the squid 150 watt heads that could be good. Ronscuba, as you say lights may not be necessary at 60ft and to date I have not used them for wide angle reef architecture and wreck shots but need some fill lighting and want to film coral and other marine life at mid to macro range with max colour info. I am shooting with an A1 in an ikelite housing now but considering getting a housing for the Z1.

I read on other threads here about Salvo and Halcyon as well as Green Force is there a consensus about which brand is better?

Thanks for your advice guys

The Z1 will do much better in low light than the Sony A1, but it and the housing are much larger and heavier.

There are not many that have hands on experience with expensive video lights. Most of the comments you will read on this board relate to non video uses.

Video use is very different. Hot spots, wide angles, lamp buoyancy, battery mount positions are all important aspects for videography that the tek divers usually don't care about.

Speaking of buoyancy and battery mount positions, don't underestimate their importance. An overly negative system will create havoc on your shooting.

Thats a very good point about battery positions I hadn't really considered - I was leaning towards trying to mount batteries to the housing but is it better to carry them on my person ie on a belt?

My experience with the high def camcorders is they need light... lots of it. I shoot primarily close-ups and short distance shots with dual 10w HID's which often isn't enough. They suffice for shots in the 2-4 foot range, although I wish they had better diffusers on them for the close-ups since the two lights each have noticeable hot spots and do not cover the frame uniformly.

Duration of battery with the lights you do select is obviously important if you do multiple dives in a day and spare batteries are too costly. I am pleased with the one I have as it gives me three full dives if I am careful in using the lights. With higher powered beams, I wouldn't get enough battery life... but could carry spares even though they are rather expensive.

Another thing to consider is having a range of power selections... full power for more distant shots and 1/2 or 1/4 power for closer shots.

Thanks for the input dr bill I had assumed that diffusers would blanket the light without hotspots. As this thread develops I think for my needs and dive conditions that 50w HIDs will offer me with the range of performance that I need however I need to establish the quality of things like the diffusers and batteries as much as the brand of light itself. From the lights I have looked at I don't recall any 50w heads having power adjustments - do you know of any that do?

I will also go and research the three manufacturers I mentioned above (halcyon, green force and salvo).

Some light systems aren't overly negative and mounting the battery on the housing is a good option if the housing is positive. You'll want the whole system, housing, lights, arms, etc., to be close to neutral.

You can wear the battery on a belt or BC, but if you are going to do that, you'll want the cord to have a wet connector.

Don't forget to check the buoyancy of the lamps too. 1lb or 2lb negative doesn't sound like much, but put that on the end of a lamp arm and see what happens to the handling of your system.....

I rigged the battery for my lights to the housing with what is similar to a mini-weight belt. It is not totally stable (some slippage), but a cost-effective ($5) approach and it has never slipped off the housing. Fortunately the housing, battery and lights are just slightly positive so they bob near the surface.

Back
Top Bottom