How powerful should my video lights be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know it was not addressed to me, but go with the 50s as a min. You will wish you had unless you will only do Micro? 50 is minimum!

This may have been mentioned before, but you can use less powerful lights in clear tropical waters than in lower visability waters. All my diving has been in water with good visability which is probably why I have been getting away with less powerful lights than the California divers are recommending.

Hi Guys,

I just stumbled on this thread and noticed that there's a lot of questions regarding video lights. Most of questions have been answered but if you guys have any more questions please feel free to ask me. I'll do what I can to help you guys find the right setup that meets your budget.

Tim

Hi Tim

Are the TL and SL50 lights HID or Halogen? also what is the angle of beam from these lights, are there diffusers for the lights and what are the burn times with the battery packs included?

many thanks

Ben

Hi Guys,

I just stumbled on this thread and noticed that there's a lot of questions regarding video lights. Most of questions have been answered but if you guys have any more questions please feel free to ask me. I'll do what I can to help you guys find the right setup that meets your budget.

Tim

Hi Tim

Are the TL and SL50 lights HID or Halogen? also what is the angle of beam from these lights, are there diffusers for the lights and what are the burn times with the battery packs included?

many thanks

Ben

Its Halogen. They don't seem to want to mention it. I wonder why??? LOL. They might catch someone.

But they do mention this (and then looking at their price)

Its battery design allows it to produce a light output equivalent of a 70w light while using a 50w bulb, which is significantly brighter than any of the 10w HID video lights out in the market

Hi Ben,

Each light comes with one batter pack and one quick charger. They all use Halogen bulbs that can be switched from 20w, 35w, and 50w.

The burn times are 120min@20w, 80min@35w, and 45min@50w. The beam angle depends on the bulbs and the reflector, and they cost between $3-10 a piece. Do a search on "MR-16" bulbs and you'll find a lot of them all over the internet, and you can even buy them at home depot. For video we include the 60w bulbs, and on top of that you can add a diffuser to it to make the beam even wider. All of our video packages comes with two sets of 50w bulbs, one 35w bulb, and a 20w bulb. It'll give you the flexibility of shooting in different color temperature, brightness, and angle in a very affordable way.

I don't know what gave Jeff the idea that we didn't want to mention it. We've written several articles regarding HID vs Halogen and we don't purposely mislead anyone to think that we're selling halogen lights as HIDs, that's just kind of silly. We've sold many video light systems and have never received a response from any customer asking us why our video lights are halogen instead of HIDs. :)

I don't know what gave Jeff the idea that we didn't want to mention it.

Go to your website. Look at your SL50 page. Check your Technical specs. No mention of HID, halogen etc etc

SL50 dual video light package for underwater video and film lighting

Check your description page.

No mention of halogen, but this is where you mention its brighter that a 10W hid.

Check your Extended Into Page

Oops not there either.

Go figure

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom