How powerful should my video lights be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think your not looking at the chart the right way! If you read the top of the second chart it states the light source! Look at the size of the red at 5500 over the spectrum! It all has to do with were you start and on the ambient light or starting point! Open up Photoshop C2 or C3 and open a raw file! The more temperature you add the redder the light until it goes monochrome!

I work in Photography and as your article states:
"Contrary to what colors we tend to think of as "hot" and "cold", red is actually a cooler temperature than blue according to Kelvin scale. Still, in photographic terms, we refer to bluish light tint photographs as "cool" and reddish light tint photographs as "warm". "

It is what your putting in! The scale is reversed as it is in Photoshop! I know what works! But thanks for the references!

I think I see what you're getting at. And yes you are right. On the Kelvin scare you are absolutely correct, but as it relates to the light spectrum, the references I submitted all seem to jibe. It is interesting that it works in reverse in regards to lighting temperature.

One thing that a lot of people don't get about cooler and hotter, which is what Papa Bear is saying, is that it's temperature not what we think it looks like. The higher temp water is the hotter it is right? Same with color temp, 5600K(daylight - more blue) is hotter than 3200K(tungsten - more red). I still see lots and lots of Tungsten(I don't think they're halogen) lighting with feature films. The type of lights you use for features, commercials, music videos and other films depends on a lot of things, mainly the film stock and location. So to say that tungsten lights are dying out really isn't all that accurate, you just might be at a lot of outdoor scenes.

Billy

Howard Hall used Halogen lighting for his Imax film in 3-D "Coral Reef Adventure" He uses them for most of his productions! Water is an amazing thing!

This really doesn't pertain to UW either(like my first post on this thread) but I was just thinking back to about 5 years ago when I was at Mole Richardson. For those who have never heard of this company they pretty much invented lighting for film and have been around for a very long time. Anyways, on this trip Larry Parker, one of the owners, let me strike a Carbon Arc lamp which is just insane! It's actually really freaky because you can get seriously hurt if you're not quick on releasing the striker9if that's the right term). This thing is massive too, probably about 5' in diameter and I had to get on a ladder to start it. There's a little welder's window that let's you check your contact and adjust the carbon rod. Pretty crazy how technology has changed.

Billy

Temporary thread hijack.

... Anyways, on this trip Larry Parker, one of the owners, let me strike a Carbon Arc lamp which is just insane!

Billy!
In my mis-spent youth I use to run a carbon arc followspot for the Young Americans. It looked like this:
http://www.arclightefx.com/photos/pictures/P9240006.JPG

It was fun training the new guys to fire this bad boy up.

Now returning to your regularly scheduled programming.

Thanks everyone for your help with this - given the dive conditions and depths I think I am going to opt for a HID 50 system probably from Green Force as it is compact, modular and looks great also I could not fit twin carbon arc lights on my housing. Good luck with all your uw filming!

The Z1 will do much better in low light than the Sony A1, but it and the housing are much larger and heavier.

There are not many that have hands on experience with expensive video lights. Most of the comments you will read on this board relate to non video uses.

Video use is very different. Hot spots, wide angles, lamp buoyancy, battery mount positions are all important aspects for videography that the tek divers usually don't care about.

Speaking of buoyancy and battery mount positions, don't underestimate their importance. An overly negative system will create havoc on your shooting.

I have dual 24W HID and they are honestly not enough. Dual 50W or even more would be better. Also, check out the Salvo dual 50W lights as they may have longer burntimes for similar prices.

We use Sony Z1 HD cameras on Tank'd. They are great cameras but they do need lots of light.
We use amphibico housings and I use amphibico lights. The battery pack mounts to the underside of the housing. The lights are adjustable from 35 - 50 watts. They come with diffusers as well.
I love this set up. You have model lights, can turn everything off and on and adjust light level.
the whole set up, camera, housing and lights weighs about 44lbs but is just barely negative in the water.

Tank'd-

Which setting do you find you use the most? 35W or 50W? I know it depends on conditions, but I'm considering 35W, since I usually dive in good visability. I'm using the Sony A1U in the Evo Pro housing from amphibico. The Salvo lights I'm looking at are not adjustable.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom