How safe to visit Honduras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some off topic posts have been split off and moved to the humor forum- feel free to continue that portion of the discussion there.

I went to Roatan in Jan and had a fab time. Stayed at the Island Pearl, which is part of Bananarama in West Bay, which is nice for families.
We often went out in West End in the evenings, nice restaurants, funky atmosphere.

As lots of the cruise ships are not going to Roatan right now, its probably quieter and nicer at Banarama these days - though the busy atmosphere didnt really bother me anyway.

Went diving with Banarama which was great. Loved the wreck and Marys Place most.

Diving and staying in Roatan was great value for money and fantastic fun.
I would go back in the bat of any eyelid, whatever the political situation.

I also travelled during the initial political hype in June, when there were real true warnings and concerns. I believe things have really settled since early summer when they had curfews and concerns, but all on the MAINLAND. The Island is fine and runs on a different beat than the mainland. So go with no concerns and yes try and fly directly into onto the Island since it is easier for you and your luggage. I stayed at Infinity Bay at an owner's condo located at VRBO and had the best week's stay. Had the Island to ourselves or at least it seemed that way. Best of luck.

We were there the week Zelaya was removed from office and we will be there next week while he's holed up in the Brazilian embassy.

This is a GREAT time to visit Roatan! Things are not as crowded and the diving is great. Plus it's a good time to contribute to the local economy and enjoy superior benefits. Several operations are offering two for one specials.

But things are not as slow any more. It looks like divers are returning. I found out today that it looks like the dive boats at Fantasy Island will be crowded next week :eyebrow:

I just got back from Roatan. Stayed at Anthony's Key for a week. Perfectly safe to go. In fact it seems most of the islanders know less about the situation than the travelers do. Had an absolute blast, some of the greatest diving in my life.

We just got back from AKR a couple of weeks ago. The island seemed a little deserted but it could have been the off-season. One night we took a cab ride into West End - there were no other tourists anywhere but all bars/restaurants were open. We went through San Pedro Sula airport (taking the ferry/bus both ways), then went to Copan ruins on Guatemala border - no problems anywhere except for occasional potholes on the roads. I see these every once in a while on I-95 too...

Roatan is safer than trying to cross a California Highway at rush hour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom