How should the Discover Scuba course go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cc69

New
Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to the board as I just did a Discover Scuba course yesterday had a great time.... the dive master and crew were extremely helpful. At the end I said I would like to come back for another dive and where was the certificate of completion. He said he needed to do the removing regulator, recovering relator and clearing mask at 20ft before we could get the certificate. Reading the details on various sites we only need to do that at closed water(beach in this case) part of the course which we did. I am now feeling confused as obviously you would want your dives to all count.

Can anyone clarify?
Thanks

there is no certificate for DSD. its an experience program that allows you to experience diving in confined water, and then optionally in open water with the folks that supervised you in confined water. While they will register you with PADI, there is nothing you are given that allows you to go to another place at another time and skip anything. The primary intent for DSD is to get you interested enough in diving to pursue OW certification.

Am curious. Anyone know if a logged dive during DSD counts as one toward later courses that require a certain # of logged dives?

In theory it does. Or it did for PADI when I was still a PADI instructor.

In reality, you are not going to get a discount on your OW class, so you may as well do all the dives since you paid for them. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of DSDs are NOT done to standards, so the OW instructor would be correct to question the validity of the training done at a resort DSD.

Now if it is a DSD done by a shop and you are continuing on in OW with the same instructor, then it is more likely to count toward OW certification.

But maybe you are asking if you did a DSD for 1 dive, OW for 4 dives and 5 more dives after certification would you be qualified for a course requiring 10 dives? I'm not sure, but I would lean toward no.

-Chris

He said he needed to do the removing regulator, recovering relator and clearing mask at 20ft before we could get the certificate

It sounds like the instructor was talking about the PADI Scuba Diver, 2 open water dive certification.

With PADI, if the instructor who conducts the Discover Scuba training goes on to teach the OW course, and if that instructor covered all the requirements of the first confined water dive during the Discover Scuba class, then that Discover Scuba class can count as the first confined water dive. You cannot accept another instructor's word for it--it has to be the same instructor for both.

With PADI, if the instructor who conducts the Discover Scuba training goes on to teach the OW course, and if that instructor covered all the requirements of the first open water dive during the Discover Scuba class, then that Discover Scuba class can count as the first open water dive. You cannot accept another instructor's word for it--it has to be the same instructor for both.

Yeah, what I meant is I think you need 40 dives now to start the DM course, 60 to finish. If you do one (or more) DSD logged dives prior to OW cert., do these count as part of the 40/60?

With PADI, if the instructor who conducts the Discover Scuba training goes on to teach the OW course, and if that instructor covered all the requirements of the first confined water dive during the Discover Scuba class, then that Discover Scuba class can count as the first confined water dive. You cannot accept another instructor's word for it--it has to be the same instructor for both.

With PADI, if the instructor who conducts the Discover Scuba training goes on to teach the OW course, and if that instructor covered all the requirements of the first open water dive during the Discover Scuba class, then that Discover Scuba class can count as the first open water dive. You cannot accept another instructor's word for it--it has to be the same instructor for both.
I would guess (not an instructor so I don't know the exact requirements) that if they had been fully logged & signed off by an instructor(with a view to doing OW in the future), you might be able to count them even if it was another instructor (in a similar way to doing Scuba Diver and then OW).

Yeah, what I meant is I think you need 40 dives now to start the DM course, 60 to finish. If you do one (or more) DSD logged dives prior to OW cert., do these count as part of the 40/60?

My thoughts would be that they shouldn't count as you weren't properly qualified. Saying that, it would be easy to fake your 40/60 if you were desperate enough

It sounds like the instructor was talking about the PADI Scuba Diver, 2 open water dive certification.
I certainly hope he was not. For PADI scuba diver you need to do at a minimum academics 1, 2, 3 and pool requirements. Had a woman who was "ow certified" last month on Puerto Rico. She had absolutely no idea what she was doing. Could not even put the gear together, in her class she is required to do it 9 times per standards. Many skills were not even covered.she redid entire course private basis here in
NY.

there is no certificate for DSD. its an experience program that allows you to experience diving in confined water, and then optionally in open water with the folks that supervised you in confined water. While they will register you with PADI, there is nothing you are given that allows you to go to another place at another time and skip anything. The primary intent for DSD is to get you interested enough in diving to pursue OW certification.

At one time, IIRC, there was a certificate for completing DSD, you got a card good for 30 days to do DSDs with another shop without going through pool and class. That's why PADI pushed using the DSD booklet, purchased from PADI for some amount of dollars, so you could issue the temp card. The card came with the class. Of course, if someone showed up on my little island, I would never have accepted someone elses card. When I was teaching DSDs, Scuba Diver was the same as OW, and you saw a very few of those older cards, and the DSD counted for nothing towards OW class. Unless you made it count.

Back
Top Bottom