How sick is "too" sick to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
If you have to think about asking, it's time to call the dive. It's just not worth it. Accidents are usually a series of poor decisions that lead up to something, and being sick makes you physically and mentally sub-optimal. If conditions are sub-optimal and you're second guessing the dive, it's time to thumb it before you ever get in the water.
I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! (kidding!!!! :)) Yes, you're probably right. ****!!!

LuvDaOcean:
How sick is TOO sick to dive?

If you have to ask, you probably ought to sit this one out.... :wink:

LuvDaOcean:
I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! (kidding!!!! :)) Yes, you're probably right. ****!!!
LOL.. it's happened to all of us. Sit this one out, live to fight another day, do the dives in a week or two. It's the smart thing and you know it. :)

As for taking cold med's....a question was asked "we're told not to do it in class, but in the real world do people do it?"

The answer is, probably, that there are some who do. There're also people running their bikes at 200mph without a helmet while drunk. Does that mean that it's a smart thing to do? :)

There are people taking all kinds of meds while diving but -- as always -- it is a VERY good idea to get a doc's opinion beforehand, preferably a diving-doc's opinion, if you take any kind of meds.

Hyperbaric preasures can (if I understand correctly) alter the effect of some meds. Other meds "wear off" during the dive. If you take drugs to keep some passage open and you decent and equalize, then imagine what happens if the effect wears off before ascending? Boyles law, and all that. A barotrauma is a real possibility

For any medical advice, I'd consult someone who's medically qualified. As an instructor, if you came to me as my student and asked anything like that, I would not take you diving before you'd been OK'ed by a medical doctor.

I know it's hard to hear when you're all excited about diving, but risking your health for a dive just isn't worth it.

Thanks everyone. Man, my bubble is soooo burst right now, but I know all of you are right. I'll go call my instructor now and reschedule the dives. I really appreciate your speedy replies...you guys are great.

:crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :banghead: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

If this was a liveaboard and the big trip, I'd consider going further, but this is only your checkout dives. You have years to take care of that. Swimming around in your icechest as I refer to our local diving, I live in the Bay area myself, won't improve it. Somewhere about the third dive, it'll be willpower bringing you along.

There are plenty of shops with wetsuits that will fit you, so that is no problem. Besides, if you're serious about diving, the suit is something you ought to buy for yourself, and your son, for precisely the reason you mention: it fits you. Save yourself, go buy your own suit and then be bright eyed and bushy tailed on your dives when ready. BTW, don't buy anything but a hyperstretch type suit. It's night and day comfortable and able to get on versus the straitjacket rentals.

LuvDaOcean:
I'm so bummed. I can't believe this is happening right now of all times. arghhhh. :(

I've got one pool session left tomorrow night (Thursday) and then this weekend our class is scheduled for our OW checkout dives. I'm stoked, excited, floating on air except for one thing: I've got a slight cold (or something) coming on. My sinuses aren't totally blocked (only slightly stuffy in one nostril), but I do have to keep popping my ears, I've got a bit of a neckache and mild headache.

I guess my question is, is if I stay like this and it doesn't get any worse could I still do tomorrow night's pool session and this weekend's dives?

How sick is TOO sick to dive?

Add onto that, that my instructor is going way out of her way - and it's not even her job - to get proper fitting wetsuits for me and my son today since our current rentals aren't even close to being adequate for 54^ water temp. We really need the suits, but if I end up getting sicker, or I'm already too sick to dive per your opinions, what a waste of her time and how badly I'll feel that she went to all that trouble for nothing. But I'm not psychic, so I don't know what's going to transpire over the next few days.

What would you do if you were me?

Thanks to all. I'd really appreciate as much advice on this one that I can get. I am really, really upset over this. Jus' figgers!!!!!!!

i ended up with a cold when i did my ow cert dives, too...i took 24 hr. prescription decongestants after contacting my md and explaining the situation (and i had taken them before, so i knew how they affect me overall), and i completed the dives...BUT, i also cleared too hard and ended up on steroids for my ear and had a lot of snot and some blood in my mask! (very sexy). all in all, it was worth it to me, but i also understand why it is advised to avoid diving when congested. if you decide to go, just be REALLY careful clearing your ears-- i think i was a little too anxious to get down and would have been fine if i had taken more time. make sure your buddy & instructor know that you might need more time descending and don't push it to clear.

that's my advice!

I use this test. If you can breath through both sides of your nose. That is hold one side shut, breath then test the other side. You are OK to go.

Yes I do take the 12 hour time release sudafed but only if I can pass the above test.
You do not want to have to depend on medication but if the medication makes it easier
to dive when you are alrewady well enough I'll do it.
I've found some alergy medication to be very usfull my nose and eyes just don't like
some types a flowers.

The OW bok sais the reason you don't take cold medications is that when it wears off while you are diving you will be in a bad way. That advice is good. Use it _only_ if you will still
be fit to dive after it wears off. You can dive with very minor congestion. Thetrouble is that it takes time to learn what is "very minor congestion" no one here can tell you that.

LuvDaOcean:
Thanks everybody for responding to this post so quickly. I SO appreciate it!

I've read a lot of threads here on SB about whether or not to take cold meds. Seems that here on SB opinions are sort of divided on the topic. Of course, in class we've been told "DO NOT take cold meds!", but in the "real" world what do people really do? I'm not going to lie and say that taking cold meds hasn't crossed my mind, but I still see those words written in the text and spoken to us in class: "DO NOT take cold meds!" :06: ?????? :06:

LuvDaOcean:
Thanks everyone. Man, my bubble is soooo burst right now, but I know all of you are right. I'll go call my instructor now and reschedule the dives. I really appreciate your speedy replies...you guys are great.

when my fiancee was going for her OW cert dives she started to get sick a few days before. With plenty of fluid, rest and vitamins she was healthy by the time of the dives. So maybe your instructor can be flexible that if you are ok you will go but if not hold off until you aren't sick

good luck!

LuvDaOcean:

Hang in there!

We've had a few setbacks ourselves but we're going to get there too. As anxious as I am I keep telling myself, " you've waited 40 years , what's a few more weeks". Use the time to research gear, read up on diving or get ahead on other tasks so you can focus on diving whan you get your card.

Everytime someone posts that they just got certified it rips out a piece of my gut. So congratulate all of them because as we all know it can be challenging to get everything to come together.

Take it easy, it's not worth risking an injury or even an unpleasant dive experience..

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom