How tight for LP hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I just got my BC and reg, and started to hook up my LP inflator hose to the first stage... Only I don't know how tight it should be... Scanned through the manuals for both the reg and BC, to no avail... What's the verdict, class?

Thanks!

My Myflex LP hose to my SS1 is long enough to allow me to hold the hose over my head and pull up to allow air to escape and when in the stowed position on my BC, snug yet not too much extra hose so it isnt flopping around.

That helps too, but I was actually looking for how tight it should be connected to the first stage.

Those specs amount to finger tight and just a little bit more so it won't come loose. With a new o-ring, the little bit may be 1/4 turn. With a used o-ring, it would be closer to 1/8 turn. Error on the light side. Too tight, may cause serious damage. Too loose and you will see the leak during bubble checks. (If the connection can not be loosened by hand, it should be fine.)

This has been asked before. It's not the tightness that maintains the air seal but the little O ring. It should be just tight enough so it cannot come loose and you can't remove with your hand.

Even if you can get the torque number for this, I've not seen a torque wrench that works as a crescent wrench for this.

Adam

Even if you can get the torque number for this, I've not seen a torque wrench that works as a crescent wrench for this.

Adam

They're called "crows foot" wrenches. Basically a plumbers tool that attaches to a ratchet (or a torque wrench) and acts like an open-end wrench.

Craftsman 21 pc. Inch and Metric Crowfoot Wrench Set

edit:

The torque for the fittings is usually in the maintenance manuals - for my Zeagles it is 2-3 ft/lbs at the 1st stage, 1-2 ft/lbs for the nut on the 2nd stage.

Tight is tight and too tight is two pieces. :D You can put the hose on with your fingers and it will not leak the o ring seal it so just snug it down.

They're called "crows foot" wrenches. Basically a plumbers tool that attaches to a ratchet (or a torque wrench) and acts like an open-end wrench.

Craftsman 21 pc. Inch and Metric Crowfoot Wrench Set

edit:

The torque for the fittings is usually in the maintenance manuals - for my Zeagles it is 2-3 ft/lbs at the 1st stage, 1-2 ft/lbs for the nut on the 2nd stage.

If you put a torque wrench on the square hole of the Craftsman wrench I'm not convinced it would transmit the torque accurately. It's applying the torque not on the nut but at a different point away from the nut.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom