How tight for LP hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you put a torque wrench on the square hole of the Craftsman wrench I'm not convinced it would transmit the torque accurately. It's applying the torque not on the nut but at a different point away from the nut.

Adam

It won't, the values change depending on the length of the crows foot and angle you place it. If you place it at 90 deg from the wrench the reading are close to accurate. A google search turned up this :

"the formula for calculating the torque with a crowsfoot. E- Effective length of extension - measured along the centerline of the torque wrench. L Lever length of the wrench - center of grip to center of drive. T(W) - Torque set on the wrench. T(E)- Torque applied by the extension to the fastener.

T(W) = T(E)* L/L+E
T(E) = T(W)* (L+E)/L"

To the original poster, just install the hose by hand (LP or HP) until it seats then with the proper wrench (none of these scuba multi tools) use 2 fingers to snugg it down. That's plenty tight and with 2 fingers it's unlikely you will over torque it. This applies to both ends.

Thats some good info. As for a torque wrench on a reg, I never used one or seen one being used. Just hand tight and a slight tap with the wrench so it dosen't loosen up. Tim

Herman has it.

I use a torque wrench because I have one (and am an engineer at heart). For hose fittings it certainly is not required, and torque wrenches are relatively expensive if that were the only use you intended. But, if you get into maintaining your own regs you will need one for sure.

To the original poster, just install the hose by hand (LP or HP) until it seats then with the proper wrench (none of these scuba multi tools) use 2 fingers to snugg it down. That's plenty tight and with 2 fingers it's unlikely you will over torque it. This applies to both ends.

Thanks, that sounds perfect, saved me from buying a torque wrench!

Just kidding. Don't do this. No really, don't do it!

That disclaimer was WAYYY too late... So where do I send the bill for the new first stage? :D

Seriously though, I would hope no one would follow that advice, lol.

Don't get things confused---tighten by hand so it won't come off(tighten all the way, then with a teeny tiny 'umph' @ the end with a crescent wrench--really hard to describe that last step).....

That disclaimer was WAYYY too late... So where do I send the bill for the new first stage? :D

Seriously though, I would hope no one would follow that advice, lol.

Ooops! Sorry!:blush:

You can send the bill here...:mooner:

:D

Back
Top Bottom