How tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

I normally dive in the tropics and have only needed to own a 3/2 and a 5/4 wetsuit, but as I have a trip to Cocos Island coming up I figured I should look into buying something a bit warmer. On the recommendation of a few friends, I got a Scubapro Nova Scotia 6.5mm semi-dry. As my local dive shop doesn't stock anything like this, I ordered it online. Not ideal for wetsuits, I know, but kind of my only practical option at this point aside from renting something onboard. I'd used the Scubapro size charts and seemed to quite comfortably fit a ladies XS based on their measurements.

Yet when it arrived in the mail today and I tried to put it on? Hell. Once I had it on and got it all zipped up it was tight. But just trying to get the thing on and off was an absolute nightmare. Now I know wetsuits should be a close fit, but I'm just wondering how tight? It's never taken me more than 15 minutes to get a wetsuit on (or off) in my life until now. My other wetsuits are surfing wetsuits and seemingly have a little more flexibility. Does anybody know if the Scubapro suits are likely to stretch a bit? I'm debating whether it's worth keeping this one at this point and getting something else.

Thanks for any advice :)

Sitting at home can be one of the most difficult places to don a suit for some reason.

How did it feel in the chest? It should not restrict inhaling or assist exhaling. If your breathing was labored then it was too tight. You may be hot, sweaty and even dizzy if you worked too hard getting in sitting in a warm home with that suit so take it easy.

How was tour range of motion, jumping jacks bending forward to touch your toes compared to normal attire, that sort of stuff?

The suit should fit with a hint of compression and especially with a heavier suit it is normal to have the stitching imprinted in your skin for maybe an hour or so after doffing.

There should be enough material to fully seat into the crotch and armpits.

Off should never be much of a challenge unless it's totally out to lunch but you need it roll it off, just as you should roll it on. To get out slip it off a shoulder and pull the arm out, turning the suit inside out, repeat for the other arm then push it down your torso and then legs until you pull your feet out and step of of the pile of rubber.

More here on fit, donning and doffing etc.

Pete

I'm just wondering how tight? It's never taken me more than 15 minutes to get a wetsuit on (or off) in my life until now.

It should be tight enough to make other wetsuits jealous but not as tight as you're describing.

new wetsuits will tend to feel more restricting than ones that are broken in a bit but it shouldn't restrict your movement more than marginally and it shouldn't restrict blood flow or breathing at all.

When it's too loose is when it's possible for water to circulate (or accumulate in relatively large volumes) inside the suit or when the seals (especially around the neck) is so loose that it will 'scoop' water when you're swimming or moving your head around.

R..

I've heard that they tend to run "thin" meaning they are cut for thin people. It will not get looser, it wil shrink and get tighter with age.

I've heard that they tend to run "thin" meaning they are cut for thin people. It will not get looser, it wil shrink and get tighter with age.

Well I mean, I'm "thin". I wear a ladies size 0-2 with regular clothes, and the measurements on the Scubapro size chart for the XS size are more like a size 2-4, so it really should have been a reasonable fit in theory.

I think the issue with the suit fit is with the T-bar zip across the shoulders rather than the standard vertical zip up the back. Getting that thing over my head (both on and off) was the worst part of it.

Once I had it on, I had reasonable movement etc. A little tighter than I'm used to, but not too extreme. Just getting the damn thing on and off was a nightmare.

Well I mean, I'm "thin". I wear a ladies size 0-2 with regular clothes

OMG I didn't even know that size existed. You probably could have just bought a wetsuit for "surf barbie" from ToysRus LOL.

Ok, just kidding around. My question is about getting it on. do you think this is something you'll get better at with a bit of practice because even if it fits when it's on it shouldn't be a pain in the butt to GET it on. I think sending it back in favor of one with a vertical zipper is a perfectly reasonable thing to do if you find that the horizontal zip is a PITA.

Just looking at a picture of that thing, it seems to me that you must have to put your arms in first and then pull the neck over your head. Is that what you were doing?

R..

barbie-2-sisters-wetsuit_sp10735_10.jpg

The Nova's fit very tight. I had similar concern but they are great once in the water. As long as they are not restrictive around your chest, it will be perfect. I agree that they are "thin" cuts.

I fold both ankle and wrist seal in on itself for a true water tight seal. I also add a little water (warmish for cold dives). This will keep you nice and warm, but also eliminate suit squeeze once submerged.

Tried it again. Still a nightmare. I'm going to ditch it and opt for a lavacore or sharkskin to wear under my 5mm wetsuit instead.

For what it is worth, I recently ordered a Scubapro and Mares both same size per their chart. The Mares fit snuggly. The Scubapro was a nightmare. I could not breathe, move or squat. I sent it back.

Wetpup-

Congrats!!...You have a great piece of equipment ....I own and dive..a 2010 SP 6.5mm Nova Scotia semidry...so feel somewhat qualified to lend my opinion...
First...as a new suit..it WILL...be a challange to don and doff...and trust me...its well worth the effort!! I probably sound like a danged SP spokesmen...don'tmean too..but I AM..that happy with mine.
I can dive temps anywhere between 72 and 39 degrees..comfortably...lower temps for 30 minutes + with suitable hood and gloves
There IS..a bit of a learning curve as far as getting in and out..but it DOES get easier with time...learn to be careful regarding the seals...don't pull on them..and watch your fingernails!! They WILL...take a chunk out... fit wise...it should be tight..it has to be..to seal correctly...it WILL loosen up...in the water...as long as your breathing is NOT..restricted..or forced...you should be ok...the T zip will "slightly"..inhibit shoulder motion...after a few dives you'll never think about it....note..MAKE SURE....yu get some Zip Ease...and use it ALOT....trust me..makes life MUCH simpler for whoevers zipping ya up!...make sure YOU..."seat"..the T-zip once closed...yu'll feel it...sort of ..notch..just firm pressure..don't jerk on it.
Remember to roll your neck seal...if yu don't..you WILL...at some point...turn your head alittle too...umm...wrong...and get a trickle...lol. Mine seals so well..I don't even roll the wrists or ankles..its just THAT good...also...remember...to "burp"..the suit prior to first descent...just stick a finger in the neck and let the bubble out..you WILL...have air in there...the suit seals so well...once you don it...any air inside will be trapped unless you let it out...and yes..squeeze sucks...lol...ask me how I know this....
If yu dont's wear a lycra skin...use plastic bags on hands and feet to don...10% of the effort...easie peasy!!...no plastic bag?...little suit snot...on wrists and ankles does it...some cheap conditioner..or..my favorite...Walmart personal lube...lol...
You'll get used to how 'difficult"..it seems to be to get in and out of...its really no harder than a regular 7mm..just take your time...and DO NOT....zip up until ready to dive..you'll overheat in minutes in the sun lol. It's a great suit...can't say enough about it!!
If yu do get hot...and add alittle water...to cool down...it WILL be in your ankles when you exit...I almost always "flush"..my suit prior to leaving the water...ahem....cough...cough...

Hope yu have a great time!! Its a great piece of equipment and wouldn't trade it for any other...I even Ice Dive in it..yeah..its THAT good!!

p.s. I rinse mine well post dive...EVERY dive...clean trashcan, a cap of Woolite, 3 minute stir....suit holds up well...I'd say..its 90% new condition. Take care of it..it will take care of you!

1bubbleoff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom