How to appreciate Wall diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCFDiver85:
I dove the famous walls in Grand Cayman. The coolest aspect for me, was just knowing that I was hovering over 2000 feet of water, not knowing what "lurks" beneath me. Not only that, but the wall was full of life. Perhaps the BEST feature of this particular wall was the way you get there. At about 60 feet there is a tunnel that slopes down and takes you through huge columns of coral. It feels like you're swimming through an underwater canyon. Finally, the pathway takes you to the end of the coral formation, and opens up to the open blue water and the wall itself. It was amazing.

Awesome. Can you post which dive site in GC this was?

ScubaTexas:
Awesome. Can you post which dive site in GC this was?
Sure thing. It was called "Big Tunnel". It is a great place to dive. We dove all over the west end, which has excellent diving. The weather didn't permit us to dive the north sound, but the west end was great.

Here's the link to big tunnelBig Tunnel

LoneWolf:
I am always just a little bit nervous. It's not because I am not comfortable with my skills, it is just that the part of the wall even farther down always seems to call to me, like the call of the Siren. "Just a few more feet, just a few more feet". I probably spend as much time looking at my depth gauge on a wall dive as I do looking at the wall! :)

I totally agreed with you. The deeper portion of the wall seem to be always calling me to go deeper :11ztongue.
Esp when I'm not so used to wall diving,and I did spent alot of time watching my Gauge but after a while, It's ok

Paul P:
One thing I have tried that works a lot of the time is to descend to your planned depth in blue water away from the wall. Then when you reach your planned bottom swim to the wall and go up. I have seen all the shy fish this way. It is a little eerie at first but you get used to it.

Hey, that's a good idea, mayb can try that out :eyebrow: esp when I'm so curious what's it like to descend or swim out to the deep blue away from the wall... but with caution taken :11ztongue

UCFdiver85, the link doesnt seem to work, can you post the link again. Thanks in advance :)

Back
Top Bottom