how to ascend/ descend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm inclined to agree with DumpsterDiver. Diving in a strong current, I like to go in negative and go vertical heads down to get to the bottom as quick as possible so I don't get blown off the reef and waste time finning my way back to it. My ascents are mostly horizontal unless I am using the smb reel. For my safety stop, I tend to hang vertically as that just feels more natural to me.

Hmm... found something to contemplate. I don't remember much from OW about descents - you just dump air, breathe out and go down. They taught us to go vertical, feet down. But I feel more comfortable getting horizontal after first 2-3 meters, so I just did that. In low or no current, great visibility conditions of red sea it was enough.
Now the more I think about it, the more I realise I know almost nothing about descents.
And sice we didn't go deeper than 35 m (finished AOW this year) and mostly not deeper than 18 m, I rarely needed to add air to my BCD at all.
Now I feel intrigued to learn fast head down negative descent.

....I don't remember much from OW about descents - you just dump air, breathe out and go down. They taught us to go vertical, feet down....

It's because in OW they focus on things that can kill a diver. How you descend: head first/feet first/butt first - is really matter of taste and sometimes depends on the environment. In OW they teach to go vertical, feet down it's because it's easy for the instructors. If you start panicking the instructor may just swim to you, pull the weights out and you will pop on the surface. Instructors also overweight their students - makes it easier for the instructor. But once a diver learned how to handle life threatening situations it could be time to improve the overall diving skills - trim, breathing, correct weighting, etc. etc.

You put very little air in BCD because (I guess) you are diving in warm waters and not wearing a thick wetsuit (and even worse - a drysuit). Maintaining control in warm waters is much easier. Once you go to the cold waters and start wearing thick wetsuit then controlled descends become really important (and on bottomless dives uncontrolled descend may actually kill the diver - the diver may descend into dangerous depths quickly). That's why regardless of how one descends, the most important is having the descend under control.

please delete ......

sorry if i bother someone with my stupid questions, theres no need to answer . But if i can only practise the skills a few times a year so its normal for me to ask everything. This is a NEW DIVERS FORUM , so yes, some the questions ARE GOING TO BE STUPID :wink:

Your questions are exactly what this NEW DIVERS FORUM is for. If you feel that someone is bothered by a question here, simply ignore that person (who, if they are irritated by a question posed by a new diver, shouldn't be reading this particular forum in the first place).

So you (AND ANY LURKERS) don't be shy about posting questions.

Herewith endeth the sermon.

I'm new too - finished PADI course September 2013 - since then husband and I have been to lakes and rivers to dive - I have problems with my ears so much descend very slowly for at least the first 10-15 feet, I also have problems descending. I can't sit on the bottom of a pool without floating up, and that first 10 or 15 feet descending on a dive I have to really work to get down - letting air out of my lungs doesn't seem to help. My husband can go horizontal almost on the surface and still descend - I tried that but could not get off the surface - but if I descend vertical for that first 10-15 feet (while working on my stubborn ears) then I can go horizontal. Have never tried a horizontal ascent.

Becca, It sounds like you may be slightly underweighted. Take the time to do a proper weight check and you should be able to descend easily. There are plenty of threads here on doing a weight check.

I'm new too - finished PADI course September 2013 - since then husband and I have been to lakes and rivers to dive - I have problems with my ears so much descend very slowly for at least the first 10-15 feet, I also have problems descending. I can't sit on the bottom of a pool without floating up, and that first 10 or 15 feet descending on a dive I have to really work to get down - letting air out of my lungs doesn't seem to help. My husband can go horizontal almost on the surface and still descend - I tried that but could not get off the surface - but if I descend vertical for that first 10-15 feet (while working on my stubborn ears) then I can go horizontal. Have never tried a horizontal ascent.

First 10-15 feet are the most critical for your ears. On 15 feet you already have 50% more pressure on your ears. Try to equalize your ears while on the surface and keep equalizing with every breath. You can't "overequalize" your ears, any extra air will leave immediately. Just don't do it it too hard, you may damage your ear drums. Try Sudafed.

You may have floaty feet. I have them too. Look for heavy fins. I used ankle weights for couple of dives, they work, but I wouldn't recommend them. Just try heavy rubber fins.

You may add some weights.. Try it. Later, after gaining more experience you may remove them.

Different approaches for different conditions. I usually descend horizontally (with perhaps a slight decline). Why? Years ago I used to descend head first. On one of those dives an unusual thing happened. A small piece of debris in my tank dropped straight into the dip or debris tube in my valve, cutting off all air flow to my regs at almost 80 fsw. Yes, this is an unusual situation, but it caused me to adopt the horizontal descent. I may use a feet first descend if I'm unsure of the depth or bottom type (large boulders for example) and visibility is poor, but I never descend head first.

I've been diving in fresh water with 12 pounds (husband uses 4) - once I get past that 10-15 feet mark I usually don't have any problems accidentally floating up - so far 30' is the deepest we've been and we've not yet been in saltwater (that trip is coming up soon). I have been equalizing even before my head is underwater (my husband thought I was crazy but it seems to help). Hate to try any medication - I get drowsy with almost all medication and that's probably not a good way to dive. I will try the equalizing with every breath next time - that's about the only thing I haven't tried - thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom