How to Avoid "Guided" Dives? I don't need/want my hand held.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're right! It's likely that I'm assuming the moronic divers are in fact beginners. They could very well be seasoned divers. Maybe even one of you in this thread! Maybe me! haha.

I need to adjust my position. I don't like diving with moronic people who destroy the reef and my experience.

And that's your take-away from my post, switching from 'moronic beginners' to 'moronic people'.
Sad, very sad.
Please keep us updated on your travels and the dive shops you use. It will help us plan ours.

And that's your take-away from my post, switching from 'moronic beginners' to 'moronic people'.
Sad, very sad.
Please keep us updated on your travels and the dive shops you use. It will help us plan ours.
I feel like some individuals in this thread are living in fantasy-land. I'm simply stating the obvious. It's a fact that there are reckless divers that exist and destroy the reefs for everyone. There are also individuals that as a result of dive boat practices and policies, can negatively impact the experience of others. The topic of this thread is to discuss how this impacts others and how to avoid it. Please create a new thread if you'd like to talk about being inclusive and/or sensitive to the feeling of generalized groups.

Why does it seem that over the last decade or so everything revolves around being "policitally correct"? I'm not one of those people. If someone is acting "moronic", I'm going to call it exactly what it is. And Yes, @CathyE you are absolutely correct. There are "moronic" divers that are in fact not beginners. The same jargon applies to them. I'm not one to coddle poor ability or bad behavior. I'm not one to change my opinion and feel sorry for people because they don't like the way some things are worded. I don't feel sorry for people because they might be a different race or ethnic background and are "less forunate" or "minority". They are afforded the very same - and in some cases many more - opportunities as I am and I've managed to do just fine. So when I use a term like "moronic" I'm not insulting someone's intelligence. I'm saying those individuals need to be more mindful of their actions and try to realize the impact they have on the rest of civilization. So yes ma'am, there are "moronic" individuals out there.

The worst problems I've ever had were with experienced divers who also were photographers. A group of them dropped down on a mimic octopus in Anilao, flattening a fish. Fortunately, I had just finished my shots, so they didn't interfere with me, but I'm not certain if that fish survived. Yes, I did report them to the resort, and this occurred during a photo workshop. Then, another group in Anilao descended on the reef of the mandarin fish with bright white lights blazing scaring them. My guide took me 50 feet away, but still none of the fish would come up. Hoping for better over the next two weeks in Lembeh.

Reminds me of our neighborhood forum where a "lost cat" notice soon evolves into endless complaints about drivers running through stop signs, stolen mail, and meterman's dirty footprints on someone's driveway.

I feel like some individuals in this thread are living in fantasy-land. I'm simply stating the obvious. It's a fact that there are reckless divers that exist and destroy the reefs for everyone. There are also individuals that as a result of dive boat practices and policies, can negatively impact the experience of others. The topic of this thread is to discuss how this impacts others and how to avoid it. Please create a new thread if you'd like to talk about being inclusive and/or sensitive to the feeling of generalized groups.

As I said earlier I haven't seen very many reckless divers in the groups I've been with although there were definitely novice divers....myself included at one time. If anything these newer divers seemed to recognize that their bouyancy skills were developing so stayed further away from the reef.

If someone is being reckless l have no problem saying something to them, but I'll try to do it with a smile on my face.

Would also add that most of the DM's I've been with would not tolerate reckless behaviour.....the reef is their livelihood after all

Love this thread.... I'm on the side of the OP too.

I think is horrible to be forced to use a guide. Give me a description if the location is tricky but don't need or want people around me underwater.

Suggestion of hiring private guide/DM seem counterintuitive.... That's exactly what the OP doesn't want.
Don't know if I'd use the term moronic for others (divers n non-divers alike). Usually I dislike an average of 7 people out of 8. At the same time I'm not very likeable either, so why force an interaction that will have zero winners?
Why is so terrible that a person or a couple wants to go to a place, pay their way like everyone else, but pass on the guide? Why is so important to others that everyone follows the same ways just because. why would anyone want to share a dive with them?
By the way I have had several dives ruined by others... One operation dropped a couple literally on top of me, don't know why but they did...and these 2 divers behaved in a seriously moronic way.

Suggestion of hiring private guide/DM seem counterintuitive.... That's exactly what the OP doesn't want.
It depends on where you go. Not all locations even allow you to be in the water without a DM, but if you are paying for your private DM, then you get to choose the shots.
The top options are clear, but they do NOT include bitching about the other divers and wanting to have everything your own way. That is childish, narcissistic, selfish, and unrealistic. Better options are:
1. Choose your locations so you don't even need a guide...or a buddy.....like shore diving in Bonaire.
2. Check with the operators first rather than complaining afterwards.
3. Pay for exactly what you want -- private boat, private DM if needed.

Back
Top Bottom