How to carry the camera during the dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kikox

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just acquired a housing for my camera. I'm a newbie in this UW photography stuff and there's one aspect that has been troubling me.

How should one carry the camera underwater? :06:

In the few dives I have made I've carried it in my wrist. But, what if something happens and I need to use both hands? In this case the camera may became a problem!!! I'm thinking in somehow locking it to my BCD, in such a way that I can always let it go, and get it back when necessary (maybe a retractor??).
What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance. Greetings

Ricardo

P.S. - I'm sorry for my poor english :wink:

kikox:
Hi everyone,

I have just acquired a housing for my camera. I'm a newbie in this UW photography stuff and there's one aspect that has been troubling me.

How should one carry the camera underwater? :06:

In the few dives I have made I've carried it in my wrist. But, what if something happens and I need to use both hands? In this case the camera may became a problem!!! I'm thinking in somehow locking it to my BCD, in such a way that I can always let it go, and get it back when necessary (maybe a retractor??).
What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance. Greetings

Ricardo

P.S. - I'm sorry for my poor english :wink:

Coiled lanyard.

Yes...a coiled lanyard. Mine is just a bit different with a bolt snap on the top end.

It keeps it secure and close to your body when snapped together and when snapped apart for use, the coil stays out of your way. There is a steel cable center through the plastic-looking coil for strength.

If you don't have a strobe, consider:

I have a housing for a SONY digital camera

I use a DIVERITE thigh pocket which attaches to thigh with loop around BC stomach strap. It has an internal D ring to attach the strap to. When entering water, I lead with right leg which shelters the pouch

I attach a larger line to my camera housing with a locking bolt clip on the end. The bolt clip is ALWAYS locked to my left shoulder D-ring

My camera is in my hands at all times, even before I had a strobe.
A coiled lanyard would be good in the event you needed to have both hands free for some reason.
You may want to consider a handlle/tray for your housing even w/o a strobe.
Be sure and put your name and phone number inside the housing.

Curt....how long is your camera line? I used one for awhile but it kept getting in the way.

Yeah, a coiled lanyard seems to work for me... clip on to a D-ring on the BC and keep the coil clipped until you're ready to use it... then I just carry it around in right hand... still attached, but uncoiled...
it's with 2 strobes and it works fine.
One thing to becareful is the attachment to the housing... make sure it can take the stress of hanging OUT of the water... I have a L&M Tetra housing, attached the coil to the strobe fixture on the housing and it bent the pin... and almost dropped off...

Hey, thanks for all your help !!

It seems that the coiled lanyard gathers the most fans :wink:. But won't the camera be banging in myself when I'm not holding it? Even if it's snapped together.
The thigh also seems a good option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom