How to check used regs without going to your LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume you realize that is not an Oceanic but rather a Sherwood first and second with an Oceanic octo and gauges.....and you do know Sherwoods are susposed to "leak" a stream of bubbles.

Enjoy: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

BTW, you bid too soon. At least it only cost you $8. Shoot for the last 10 seconds so the competition can't react.
I guess that's a good check list for a reg that hasn't been serviced lately, one newly back from servicing, or a rental, but buying a used reg - get it serviced, then double check with that list.

As far as ebay bidding, I used a snipe service to avoid bidding wars. Mine files my maximum big 7 seconds to close. Auction Sniper: eBay Sniper and eBay Bidding snipe, bid sniping for eBay and there are others.

Anything I bought 2nd hand from eBay that was as critical as a reg, I'd be having serviced.
Since the seller refers to the SPG as an "oxygen gauge" I'd be assuming it needs one.

Well, yes. If you are unable or unwilling to do it yourself, you have little choice but to trust the job to someone who happens to work in an LDS and attended a day of training. That is the low end of your dive shop service tech qualifications. I am not sure why that makes you feel better about YOUR safety and comfort.

As far as extra precautions with an ebay kit, I'd probably take a close look at a few of the more accessible o-rings and other soft partds for signs of deterioration in storage. But I don't see the need for an automatic servicing. In fact, I just received an ebay reg that has to be about 35 years old. Looks like it might be NOS - no sign of having been wet. Holds vacuum well but freeflows pretty badly. From what I have seen so far, I'm hoping to adjust it (Pilots are a bit tricky I hear) and take it diving.

Judging from the last shot, I'd want somebody to take a look at that. Assuming it looks as bad in real life.
For someone that knows Sherwood, isn't there supposed to be a filter screen?

Save everybody the trouble of looking:

Capture.JPG

First rule of eBay is that you have to know what you are bidding on, it is not good to assume that the seller has a clue as to what they are selling. I have picked a few good deals by sellers mislabeling gear. Also have gotten junk, but at least it was a low bid.

Depending on the shape it's in, I'll check the IP and see if it freeflows, if that is ok I'll test dive. If it is in rougher shape, I'll tear it down, clean, and replace parts as necessary before the test dive.

Buying a used reg from your LDS may be a better, and cheaper, alternative than trying to get a deal on eBay.

Bob
------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I recently bought some regs off ebay . . . I dont want to pay so I would rather find a way to check them myself? I have an ip gauge what should I do?
Check the IP, if you know how to do it. If it is within manufacturer limits, AND stable, then dive the reg. If not, have them 'serviced' by the LDS.

The notion of having them 'checked' by the LDS before diving may not be practical, because generally a LDS - or any other competent service technician - will tell you in advance: 'We can test IP, we can test cracking pressures. If both are within specifications, we still can't tell you what condition the reg is in. If they aren't within specifications, we can either: 1) attempt to correct it, or b) go ahead and do a full service - disassembly and replacement of parts, followed by adjustment to bring the regulator within pressure specificiations. If a business-competent LDS works on a reg at an hourly rate, the cost of checking it may be equal to the cost of the annual service, in terms of labor.

So, the IP (first stage) is within appropriate limits, and is stable, and the second stage doesn't hiss / bubble when you pressurize it. You have now spent X minutes, to decide that you can dive it. Is there a chance that the regulator will fail completely on the first dive? Yes - you haven't looked inside the first stage at all. Unlikely, but possible. On the other hand, if neither the IP is correct and stable, nor is the cracking pressure where you want it, or should you completely dissassemble, or just adjust settings to see if you can bring the IP to within an appropriate range, and the cracking pressure to within appropiate pressure limits?

I dive a Zeagle DS-V that I bought on eBay, that I used as a pool AND Open Water regulator for 3 years without servicing it, unitl recently - kept saying I would get around to it, but somehow kept putting it off. Worked just fine before service, looked great when I opened it up. worked fine after service.

I also have an Apeks DST, also bought used, that I dove 3-4 times after receiving it - it worked fine, as well. But, I was finally in 'service mode' and decided to do a number of regs that were due (or overdue). The first stage had lots of what appeared to be (saltwater) corrosion, and I was surprised how well it had worked.

Checking the IP is fine,. but it won't tell you everything about the condition of the reg.

OK, some others have told you about checking the IP and test diving etc. etc. etc. The truth is very simple and I am surprised that nobody has said this already:

This is your life support - stop being cheap and go get it checked out by a qualified person!!!

In the future, you will know what kind of care and service it has received and you will be able to make an informed decision on the time frame and need for servicing.

Back
Top Bottom