How to choose a divecentre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjvencken

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As an instructor people ask me which arrangements to make and how to pick a dive centre for their OW-courses when at their specific holiday destination. Unfortunately I don't spend all of my days checking out diveschools and when I did my own initial courses I just signed up with the first thing I ran into and survived. I can come up with quite a few general recommendations (see below for the topics I think I should cover) but would love to have your input on this one:

1. making arrangements in advance
2. first impressions are usually right
3. financial considerations
4. choosing an agency
5. organizations with apparent staying power
6. course length in days /nb students/language
7. guarantee in advance full package of dives/skills will be covered in those days
8. price all inclusive? (course materials , instructor, admin fee, dive equipment, insurance)

(AND OH YES, PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A "WHICH AGENCY"-thread:D)

#4 is like the shiny red button that says 'Push ONLY In Event of Catastrophic Emergencies' and should be replaced with "communicates effectively with customers/students in a timely fashion."

If they can't communicate with you at sales pitch time, I can't imagine it will improve AFTER the bill has been paid. Those that get frustrated with questions should be avoided.

#4 is like the shiny red button that says 'Push ONLY In Event of Catastrophic Emergencies' and should be replaced with "communicates effectively with customers/students in a timely fashion."

If they can't communicate with you at sales pitch time, I can't imagine it will improve AFTER the bill has been paid. Those that get frustrated with questions should be avoided.

Yes I was planning on saying something along those lines but this is a topic that cannot be avoided. Hence the last line..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom