How to choose scuba lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never used, or dove with anyone that used, a can light so I don't have any point of comparison. Your point about having a hand tied up with a piston grip is a good one. The $600 cost of a can light is a bit much for my wallet, but it's hard to resist yet another scuba toy ....

MyDiveLog:
I've never used, or dove with anyone that used, a can light so I don't have any point of comparison. Your point about having a hand tied up with a piston grip is a good one. The $600 cost of a can light is a bit much for my wallet, but it's hard to resist yet another scuba toy ....
DANGER, DANGER, DANGER These toys can cost you an arm. They'll cost you a leg if bought the other toys that you thought would work, but cost less. :D

My advice to you; never dive with someone who has a can light. If someone has a spare that they will loan to you, promptly run them over with your car. Their medical bills may cost you more, but at least you won't have gone down the slippery slope of scuba financial ruin! :wink:

Seriously: I hate having to buy something twice and blowing good money when I could have purchased the correct gear the first time. Been there, blew my money on a bunch of inferior lights and now am happy. I just hope that someone doesn't come out with a 22 watt light soon. So for my style of diving I'm a strong advocate of the can light. It may not be appropriate for "Chocolate" or for you.

overexposed2X:
DANGER, DANGER, DANGER These toys can cost you an arm. They'll cost you a leg if bought the other toys that you thought would work, but cost less. :D

Even if you are completely happy with them, the next new toy will soon catch your eye.

I was very happy with my Terkel light ... but I'm much happier with my Helios 9 ... :wink:

I really miss that leg though ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Damselfish:
It depends some on where you are diving and what you plan on using the lights for, which you don't say - low or high vis waters, night diving or just peeking in holes during the day, wrecks, etc. Brighter isn't always better.

You don't use your average dive light to light a photo subject, they're not bright enough for that. Typically you would be using strobe(s). If you want a light for actually illuminating a photo you're talking HID and much more than $130.

... Sometimes people attach a light directly on the camera rig so they don't need 3 hands.

overexposed2X:
Do you dive at night?
Are you shooting stills or video?
Will you be using strobes on your camera?

Well, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. The core purpose for my lights will be for night diving. Don't see myself bringing a primary lights (after I get one) on a day dive too often.

I'm from Hong Kong, so low vis here. However, I do travel to other Southern Pacific area to dive, and the visibility there is quite good. So, its both ways.

At the moment, I'm shooting still, and don't yet have a strobe on my camera. However, I heard that the lights could also serve as flash U/W. Just thought maybe I could save a little if I could hit two birds w/one stone. But from what Damselfish said, guess it won't be that simple.

Also, Damselfish, do you think you could elaborate more on attaching the lights to my camera housing?

Thanks.

chocolate:
Also, Damselfish, do you think you could elaborate more on attaching the lights to my camera housing?

Thanks.

You can buy various clamps and gizmos to go on housings, strobes or strobe arms, it's something you'd find at an UW photo specialty place or a larger photo place that sells UW photo gear. Some are specific to certain brands of housings, arms and/or lights, and some are more generic. My husband has a generic one meant to strap on the side of a strobe, it's a hunk of rubber about 4 inches long that's flat on one side and has a slotted hole about 1 inch in diameter running the length that can fit some different lights. It has stretchy velcro straps to hold the whole thing to the strobe. It might be the sort of thing you could play around with and make something yourself, if you're so inclined. Another solution is a buddy who helps with your lighting while you're taking a picture.

Damselfish:
You can buy various clamps and gizmos to go on housings, strobes or strobe arms, it's something you'd find at an UW photo specialty place or a larger photo place that sells UW photo gear. Some are specific to certain brands of housings, arms and/or lights, and some are more generic. My husband has a generic one meant to strap on the side of a strobe, it's a hunk of rubber about 4 inches long that's flat on one side and has a slotted hole about 1 inch in diameter running the length that can fit some different lights. It has stretchy velcro straps to hold the whole thing to the strobe. It might be the sort of thing you could play around with and make something yourself, if you're so inclined. Another solution is a buddy who helps with your lighting while you're taking a picture.

Don't you want a strobe to stop the movement of the fish? A shutter speed of say 1/30th or 1/60th of a second at f2.8 is going to blur the fish unless it is very stationary. You also may loose depth of field even with a wide angle lens. IMHO - HID's are good for video but not still photos.

sure, they still really need a strobe, this was just ideas what to do with a small light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom