How to display

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xsnapplemanx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I asked a question about beach diving and if a flag was necessary and found out that it was it must be attached to a boat or buoy. I was wondering how would I go about attaching my flag to a buoy and what to do if there is no buoy where I'm diving. Any help would be appreciated!

You purchase a Dive flag on a staff with a weighted bottom attached to a small buoy. Usually have them in all dive shops near beach diving sites. Attach the dive flag staff to a reel and tow it with you. Make sure you check your depth and amount of line left out so as not to pull the flag underwater. Adjust with the reel as required. I always clip my reel to my BC. Hope this helps. Others have different techniques.

You purchase a Dive flag on a staff with a weighted bottom attached to a small buoy. Usually have them in all dive shops near beach diving sites. Attach the dive flag staff to a reel and tow it with you. Make sure you check your depth and amount of line left out so as not to pull the flag underwater. Adjust with the reel as required. I always clip my reel to my BC. Hope this helps. Others have different techniques.

Good answer except for the last bit. You should NEVER clip your buoy to your BC. If some idiot boater hooks your buoy either intentionally or unintentionally you are likely to find yourself dragged to the surface unexpectedly and probably well above a safe ascent rate.

If I don't clip it to my B/C then where should I clip it? Does anyone manufacture a break-away reel/clip assemblies?

You'd hold it.

However, the above discussion only applies to certain locations that require their use by beach divers. Most places, you just go diving.

Good answer except for the last bit. You should NEVER clip your buoy to your BC. If some idiot boater hooks your buoy either intentionally or unintentionally you are likely to find yourself dragged to the surface unexpectedly and probably well above a safe ascent rate.

Mike,
I do understand your point and I am not saying you are wrong. I have heard of this happening before however I have been doing this for 30 years and have never had an issue. The lock on my reel is not strong enough to lock down the line and pull me to the surface. I also stated that others have other ways of doing it. My flag, my BC, hooked on, light lock. 800 ft of line gives me plenty of time to cut off. Heck the same thing could happen with a boat trolling with fishing gear down and that would really suck. I believe this has also happened.
A little story, once while diving about 8 miles out of Cocoa Beach, FL on the Pelican flats, the charter we were on had engine problems. While the crew was repairing the engine we were all up sunning on the bow when we thought we heard someone yelling for help. We all quieted down and heard a faint yell again. We spotted a orange spot out in the distance with binoculars and kept eyes on. After the engine was fixed we motored over and here was this diver out in the middle of nowhere all alone. We asked him where his buddy was and he told us "Back on our boat watching from the surface and following my flag" "What flag?" we asked. He stated that he had been carrying it in his hand and hooked it in some rocks for a little look around and couldn't find it when he finished. While on his look around he had been in a current which carried him about 1.5 miles away from his boat where we found his buddy looking over the side for bubbles right on top of his flag. Two idiots survive another day.

Mike,
I do understand your point and I am not saying you are wrong. I have heard of this happening before however I have been doing this for 30 years and have never had an issue. The lock on my reel is not strong enough to lock down the line and pull me to the surface. I also stated that others have other ways of doing it. My flag, my BC, hooked on, light lock. 800 ft of line gives me plenty of time to cut off. Heck the same thing could happen with a boat trolling with fishing gear down and that would really suck. I believe this has also happened.

..snip..

I agree that 800ft of line gives you a good reaction time. :D

However not many people carry that much line - certainly I don't. :depressed:

The probability of your buoy getting snagged depends very much on the region you dive in but there are plenty of stories here on SB about boaters picking up buoys and trying to make off with them or jet skiers using them for target practice.
Better safe than sorry. :)

Just a tip if you do want to clip on - what I use for break-aways are used orings. With 3 divers in the family and 4 reg sets in regular use, every revision produces a collection of used o rings in various sizes.
I find these great to create breakaway points when I want to fix something to my BC. They're strong enough to give security, they don't deteriorate like nylon cable ties that become brittle & crack after a while, yet a good tug in an emergency will break them.

Since you are supposed to be within 100' of your flag, I suggest only having a 100 ft line attached to your flag. Simply attach another reel if you need to go deeper!

While many say "don't clip it to your BC", I have never had an issue. I do it all the time when I hunt for Sharks teeth in 20' of water. If I am out where there is LOTS of boat traffic, I do hold on to it rather than clip it.

Use a line that is light enough that it will part and not drag you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom