How to ensure N2 narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm saying that for me, at 100 feet, I put my light on things on Nitrox and they either appeared gray to me or I remembered them later as being gray. In the same area of the wreck, on 35% helium, I saw colors. Something in my brain worked differently on the helium dive. I was really quite amazed by it.

Helps to defog your mask, Lynne.

The heavier the nobel gas the more narcotic. Helium and I believe Neon are not not narcotic. Argon is at depth but perhaps not at 1 atm. Krypton and Xenon are narcotic at 1 atm and have been used as anesthetic gases. If you choose Radon, you have a whole different problem to worry about.

In all seriousness, don't blend a O2 Argon mix unless you happen to have tables or a computer that can handle it. I don't know what the on gassing and off gassing rate is for Argon, but I would hate for you to get a serious DCS issue from that little experiment. From what I have read, even Neon can dramatically increase your decompression time and is harder to deal with if you have to take a chamber ride.

As for me, I notice the effects of narcosis when I hit 100 feet. I still feel fine and can complete my dive and remember everything, but my lips and nose go "buzzy" kind of like I took a valium or had too much to drink without the corresponding lack of coordination issues or lack of judgment issues.

My deepest equivalent air depth (I was on a very light trimix) was 140 feet (real depth was 50 m). Luckily I become more of the paranoid diver who checks his pressure guague every 5 seconds instead of the goof ball diver who doesn't care. It still makes for a less enjoyable dive.

When I was "taught " or experienced a narc hit.
My instructor gave me a baby's toy, the one that is in the shape of a ball, it splits in half and has geometric shapes cut into the "ball halves". with coresponding blocks
He gave it to me and timed me placing all shapes in the proper holes, topside and at depth.
I thought this was the greatest example of a good way to "show" narcing. It is simple easy to duplicate and very accurate!
See you topside! John

Having gone through the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and now the 00's, and being 70 years old, I seem to be narced all the time except when I am at depth.

Back
Top Bottom