How to fasten superflex hose in hose retainer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakobon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a Abyss Octopus with Superflex hose. It is a very nice octopus and the Superflex hose is a delight.

My Mares Vector 1000 AT BCD came with a hose retainer, and I like to attach the hose of my Abyss octopus to the hose retainer, which is then connected to one of the lowest D-rings.

The issue is, that the hose retainer is properly made to suit a standard LP hose, but the Superflex hose on my Abyss octopus is a tiny bit slimmer. This makes the regulator hose "glide" (due to gavity ...) and starts getting in the way, especially when underwater.
Also, if I dive near the buttom, the regulator, at some point, might glide so far out that the 2nd stage starts to bump into rocks and other objects and simply starts to drag along the buttom. Due to this, the 2nd stage surface already looks quite "beat up", and I really need to find a way to prevent this.

I have seen that you can bend the hose and stick it into the D-ring, but find this a bit restricted in a emergency situation and like to use the hose retainer instead.

Maybe I can wrap tape around the octopus hose, just a few centimeters from the hose protector at the 2nd stage end ? This will prevent the hose from gliding past this point and still keep the "availability" presented with the hose retainer.
But what tape can I use ?

There's the famous gaffatape, electrical tape or plumber's PTFE tape, and properly many more.
Is there any risk that any of these materials chemical degrade the LP tube in the Superflex hose ? Should I use a different approach instead ?

I have also tried a Mares octopus plug, but then my Abyss octopus hangs in a upside-down position underwater, it leaks air. I could have the cracking resistance adjusted, but I like to find a way to use it using the factory default settings ... :) And then there's also the Tech style, using a neck band for the octopus ...

Any suggestions or recommendations ?

Best regards,
Jakob

simple solution, take the hose to a shop and try different type hose clips and see what fits, or go to a shop that sells mares and ask what they got to fix the problem (or call a online dealer). or you might find a clip to fix this made by mares in the catalog.

or my favorite fix, which is what we do on or rental and student bcd's, put a knot in the middle of a rubberband, and loop the rubberband around the d-ring on the shoulder strap, then put the mouthpiece of the octo in the hole created by the knot. this will keep the octo up out of the bottom of the dive location, and also hvae the body of the octo at arms reach so you know where it is in an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom