How to find an excellent SCUBA class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting post for a beginner like me. It's hard to look for a decent scuba class in our country since there are so few scuba divers. I don't know, maybe I'm just not looking that hard. And when you do find an instructor, it's mostly expensive due to the lack of students. I'm thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, are there some instructors out there who base their price according to the number of students he has enrolled in his class? The fewer the students equals more expensive, while the more the students equals cheaper?

Interesting post for a beginner like me. It's hard to look for a decent scuba class in our country since there are so few scuba divers. I don't know, maybe I'm just not looking that hard. And when you do find an instructor, it's mostly expensive due to the lack of students. I'm thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, are there some instructors out there who base their price according to the number of students he has enrolled in his class? The fewer the students equals more expensive, while the more the students equals cheaper?

I live in Los Angeles and I do not believe there is any shortage of scuba instructors. I believe that you are confusing group classes with private and semi-private classes. Generally speaking the amount of time it takes to teach a class is approximately the same whether teaching one student or a group (usually a little longer with a group as the instructor has to have each student demonstrate each skill) I think you might agree that a person who engages an instructor to teach him/her one on one would and should pay more than someone who joins a group class. That is a standard procedure no matter what class a person wishes to take.
Also, let me suggest to you that a scuba instructor has spent thousands of dollars and a great deal of time and effort to acquire the skills and expertise, not to mention the money spent on equipment, maintenance of that equipment, dues to certifying agencies, liability insurance and on and on to become and remain an instructor. Teaching an open water class to one or a group of students takes varying amounts of time depending on whether or not the instructor teaches the academic portions or relies on e-learning or home study but we can safely assume that the process can take anywhere from 30 to 45 hours considering that usually two full days are required for open water dives. Now, when someone takes a tennis lesson at (I'm guessing here) say $60 per hour or a golf lesson at $80 an hour or hires a private fitness trainer for anywhere from $60-$120 an hour they usually don't complain. However, if you miss a serve or a putt or don't make that last rep -- NO ONE DIES. If I or any other scuba instructor does not do his/her job properly people can die. Your life is in the scuba instructor's hands. Isn't that worth paying for just as much as a tennis or golf lesson?
The usual going rate to an instructor who teaches group classes through a shop in Los Angeles is around $100 per person. 6 hours or so in the pool, a couple of 12 hour days at the ocean (not to mention prep time) And the variable number of hours teaching the academic portion, administering and grading exams, filling out paperwork and so on. People are getting an incredible bargain at the current rates and should not complain.

And the LDC & Instructor should ALWAYS be willing to extend your OW training if you're not comfortable doing it in 2 1/2 days...imho.

I understand that we are all on a budget so some extent or another however for an optimal learning experience I recommend a private lesson. With private lessons the instructor is able to dissect everything that you do (and don't) do underwater). Here, the instructor focuses on you and not 5 others such as in a group instruction.
I took private lessons, and I really feel confident that I am capable to be responsbile for myself and not jeopardize those around me while in the water. I understand that I have a tremendous amount of material yet to learn but the basic foundation that I have acquired will give me a great start.

my 02 cents, Gary

And the LDC & Instructor should ALWAYS be willing to extend your OW training if you're not comfortable doing it in 2 1/2 days...imho.

Depending on the situation, but I don't think I agree with you on this part.

Making a business commitment means both parties following through on the commitment regardless of whether it occurs in the business world or on vacation with your family. Just because they represent the customer does not give them carte blanche to be irresponsible, disrespectful, or go incommunicado.

If an instructor were to make logistical decisions based off of a customer's inaccurate description of their basic aquatic skills, if they have misled the instructor in some manner, if their physical conditioning creates serious issues, or if they miss a mandatory session without communicating... all monetary 'bets' should be off.

I would promise nothing to somebody who wanted guarantees of certification, who cannot complete the skills due to fitness-related concerns, or somebody who simply does not show up. No way.

Those are on the list of things that should not be the instructor's problem, provided they fulfill their end of the agreement.

Interesting post. There are several issues that are worth considering. Do you get a good understanding of what the course requires? What do you think you would want to do first as a diver? What are your objectives? Photography, wrecks, marine life, hunting, exploring, treasure etc.

Does the perspective instructor make course requirements clear and easy to understand? As a student are you truthful? Regardless of small class or large if you cannot put your face in the water without a mask you will impact the rest of the students. Plan to learn and take the necessary time even at additional cost. It is not a quick errand you do on the way home from a trip to the mall.

Ask the instructor to cite examples that taught the instructor a particular skill or learning experience. Did you understand what they experienced and the value of the lesson. If you need additional personal help in performing a skill what will the instructor charge for the additional training. Education is as much the students motivation as the instructors ability. Ask questions.
DP

Before you look for a scuba program, I think the first questions you should ask is:

a) How dedicated am I to learning to dive? Is this just something on the bucket list to check-off and move on to the next one on the list, or is it something that you are undertaking for a deeper reason?

b) Are you looking for an easy way out, or are you committed?

c) Are you looking to stick your head underwater and be led by the hand, or do you want something more?

Your answers to these questions may have more importance in how you proceed than any other.

Diver training courses vary between certification agencies and individual instructors. Regardless, what you get out of it depends upon your attitude going in. Personally I look at diving instruction as a serious matter and not primarily as "fun." To me "fun" is a by-product of knowing how to dive safely, but that's just my perspective. There are others Instructors who feel differently. Everyone has their own perspective...

As usual, Walter has made an excellent post. The importance of his questions will be evaluated by the perspective of the future student. Do you really want to learn, or just get by? This will be a primary factor on where you decide to learn and who you select to be your instructor.

DCBC:
The importance of his questions will be evaluated by the perspective of the future student. Do you really want to learn, or just get by?

I agree, but those who just want to get by aren't looking for an excellent class.

I agree, but those who just want to get by aren't looking for an excellent class.

Not by your or my definition of excellence my friend. For some however, excellence is not defined by most inclusive or complete; it's a matter of perspective and the goal being sought. I cannot help but wonder if certification was obtainable without getting wet, how many would grasp this opportunity...

Question - Are students having fun?

Locating an excellent scuba class should be not much different than finding an excellent dentist, lawyer or other professional. To locate one of the these you would probably get referrals from friends, family, etc. The questions posted above are a great start, but also may be challenging to get. Many instructors contract for a store, so your first contact is with store staff. The better stores do an excellent job answering questions about their classes, etc but do they describe the instructor's teaching style, etc.

The truth is people take a dive class to have fun! It is assumed that the course will teach basic skills and if you pay attention you'll most likely be safe.

To really find out, go observe a class are the students learning how to have fun underwater and are they having fun doing so?

Finally - how are the dive skills of the "certified" divers that particular instructor trained? Are they competent is basic scuba skills or are the "certified non-divers...."

Good luck and welcome to the most exciting, low impact adventure on earth!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom