How to fix my canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't rule out the battery just yet. You should see 14v or better after a good charge.

You can dink around with your light and maybe luck into fixing it but more likely than not you'll f it up. I suggest that you send it to a pro. At least, email someone like Sandroff.

who is sandroff?

I tinkered around with it to see if it was the light...and it wasnt. I had to pull the protective glass bulb around it off, and in the process it broke :(

BTW, is pvc strong enough to go down to atleast 130 or should i get acrylic?

If I'm not mistaken, typical PVC pipe is rated to somewhere around 200-400psi (I can't remember which, but it should be printed on the pipe). Water exerts 14.7 psi per square inch at 33 feet if I remember correct. so 5 * 14.7 = 73.5psi per square inch is the pressure exerted on the body.

Jorbar1551:
who is sandroff?

I tinkered around with it to see if it was the light...and it wasnt. I had to pull the protective glass bulb around it off, and in the process it broke :(

He WAS the guy that might have been able to fix your light at a reasonable price. Oh well... keep tryin'. :shakehead

is there an email i can get?

I was tinkering my light a while ago- it had a faulty switch, so I took it apart to try to fix the switch. The contacts were worn out, so I tried to bend them back to life. It didn't work out so well. It would work for a while, but not reliably. I also cracked the envelope on the HID lamp- I used a little high temp silicone and it's as good as "new" but it looks terrible. The beam isn't as tight as I remember, but still diveable.

In the end, I sent the light back to the manufacturer to get the switch and bulb replaced- $100! I kept the old bulb as a spare. :wink:

Go to http://www.thedecostop.com/ and pm Sandho (user name for Howard Sandroff).
If you look at his profile you will see a home page with an email address... He might answer that one a little quicker.

Howard has saved quite a few lights around here.

Sandroff is currently fixing my Sandho light. Great, great guy. When my battery pack went and I was worried about the bulb and ballast, the first thing I did was write Howard.

Back
Top Bottom