How to fix your "bubbling" inflator...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottZeagle

Contributor
Reaction score
As many of you who read this forum know, we have had a weird issue with bubbles coming from the inflator module. This is merely cosmetic, and causes no threat to the diver at all, but here is an easy way for your local Zeagle service tech to fix it. I am basically going to post the email here that is going out to all Zeagle dealers, with some slight picture notations since the attachments can't be placed in order. Just count the pictures left to right and all should make sense! Thanks, Scott

Zeagle has received reports that small number of inflators delivered to Zeagle dealers have exhibited a very small leak of bubbles from an area around the ¼” Hex wrench hole in the 112-1010 Valve Module as seen in picture 1. Zeagle investigated and found that the problem is excess plastic in the 0-ring groove that prevents the O-ring from sealing completely. The leak is not dangerous in any way and the leak will never increase above the small rate seen. However, it is something that a diver does not want to see coming from their inflator.

Upon request, Zeagle can exchange the 112-1010 Valve Module for Zeagle dealers with a new module, but this e-mail describes a simple solution that can be performed in minutes and will fix the small leak easily.

After removing the 112-1010 Valve Assembly from the Power Inflator using a ¼” Allen wrench, remove the top O-ring (Picture 2) taking care not to scratch the O-ring groove. Clean any grease from the O-ring groove with a lint-free cloth.

When the Assembly is cleaned and the O-ring is removed, you can see the excess plastic left by the molding process on each side of the plastic body. The leak is created when the excess plastic extends across the bottom of the O-ring groove as indicated in the picture 3.

The excess plastic in the O-ring groove can easily be removed by scraping a thin sharp knife blade up and down over the excess plastic until it is rubbed away. (Picture 4)

Picture 5 shows how the bottom of the O-ring groove should look when the excess plastic is removed.

After the excess plastic on each side of the top O-ring is removed with the sharp blade, re-install the lightly lubricated O-ring onto the Valve Assembly (picture 6) and re-install the spring and Valve Assembly back into the Power Inflator. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE VALVE ASSEMBLY WITH THE ¼” ALLEN WRENCH. As soon as you feel the Valve Assembly come to a stop, STOP TURNING IT. Over tightening the Valve Assembly will not stop any leakage and can permanently damage the Valve Assembly.

Test the Power Inflator for leaks and operation and re-install it onto the BC.

Attachments

• bubbles.gif
    bubbles.gif
    160 KB · Views: 287
  • Remove-O-ring.gif
    Remove-O-ring.gif
    152.9 KB · Views: 257
  • Valve-Module.gif
    Valve-Module.gif
    116.1 KB · Views: 267
  • Use-Blade.gif
    Use-Blade.gif
    134.7 KB · Views: 242
  • Valve-Module-cleaned.gif
    Valve-Module-cleaned.gif
    131.3 KB · Views: 264
  • reinstall-O-ring.gif
    reinstall-O-ring.gif
    167.5 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
It is an issue that just kind of popped up, Jim. The molder didn't clean the flash off as well as they normally do, so it is really just one run of inflator modules that has this issue, as far as I know.

Since we have identified the problem, all inflators here at Zeagle have been "fixed", but we know there are some out there and wanted people to be able to fix them or get them fixed quickly and easily.

Scott

Scott, thanks for the info. I have a Stiletto and had the bubbling problem. I had a go at your suggested fix; while there was a little flashing in the o-ring grooves, the problem seemed to be more of a "step" where the mold halves were misaligned. I've worked the step down smooth, we'll see how it goes...

I know this is an old thread but it looks like the right place. I have an early model Zeagle Ranger BC and the power inflator is bleeding air into the BC. (I just unhook it or I keep floating up).
Seeing the new BX inflator I was going to make the switch then I find the inflator is connected by a cable? Can I replace the inflator and just clip the cable?

Thanks all...

There are two holes in the hose end of the BX connector that a pin goes through. The pin passes through a loop in the end of the cable. The BX connector goes back on the same way the old inflator was attached.

The BX inflators are really great for rinsing the bc. They also allow the inflator to rotate in the connector so you can put it in what ever orientation you wish without having to move it in the hose and rezip tie.

Thanks for the info on the holes on the BX connector. I have put one on order. I was able to clean up my old inflator until I can get the new one. So I had a great dive over the weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom