How to get a Sand Tiger shark to really like you...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
...in 10 minutes or less.

So new divers often ask me, how do you get the sharks in your videos to behave so nicely for the camera? Do you bait them? Actually, most sharks I film are quite shy and have the tendency to behave like dogs. I know, sounds crazy, but watch this video:

[vimeo]12935171[/vimeo]

The shark you are seeing is one animal, a juvenile, about 7 FT long. To get this action, I separated from the other divers and went solo. The trick is not scaring the shark and letting them come to you in their own time. More divers scare them. Observe the fish swim pattern on the wreck or reef. It's like rush hour traffic. Everything has a rhythm. Sit and wait. Put yourself in the swim pattern of the shark and let him (or her) come to you. The first pass in the video was close. The second pass, closer. In the third pass, the shark was completely relaxed and actually altered it's pattern to come to me. I use a super-wide angle video lens. At closest approach, the shark was less than 12 inches from the glass.

Minimize your breathing (sharks are scared of bubbles). Relax and show no fear. They WON'T bight you, LOL. Don't move at all as they approach. DON'T try and touch them, it's like hitting them with a shock because of their skin sensitivity.

Try and remember that if these guys REALLY wanted to eat you they most certainly could. They could come tearing in at 30+ MPH and knock you down with their 300 LB weight before you even know what happened. The point is they chose NOT to. Instead, they behave very politely. I've been in the middle of a school of thirty or more at one time and have always enjoyed their company.

BTW, the wreck is the F.W. Abrams, a tanker off Cape Hatteras. 90 FT of 80 degree blue tropical water. The ray in the video is 4 FT across. The fish on the wreck are fantastic.

Everything you see in the video was filmed in less than 30 minutes on one dive.

ENJOY!

Excellent Drewski. I have had similar results using the same techniques. You have to be alone, not moving, very calm, slow breathing, neutral. I had a wonderful experience about 20 ft in front of the bow of the Spar, near the bottom, where I spent 40 minutes in the middle of a group of over a dozen sand tigers. After about ten minutes the group came back and we all hovered in a mild current coming toward the bow. As time went by the group packed in closer and I could see there were sharks everywhere but below, some just inches away. It was one of the most exhilarating dives I have ever had. I truly hated to ascend.

I was on the Spar this past weekend. When I first arrived there were about a half dozen sand tigers on the lower deck area below the bridge. They initially moved off when I dropped down to the deck. I was just hovering and moving around slowly looking for teeth, and before long they came back. In fact once I looked up to find myself nearly bumping into one. Very cool.

LOL yep, even did a little "fish feeding" myself - it's been quite a few years since that last happened to me. The diving was good though.

I really enjoy your photography

Great footage! I hope I get some that good next month.

And I agree... my filming of sharks has always been best when I stay still and let them come investigate me. I even got footage of my husband taking photos of a seahorse in Bahamas (Nekton liveaboard trip) and a shark came right up behind him to check him out. It was so funny because Ron didn't even know the shark was there until he watched my video. :wink:

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom