how to get in and out of nasty surf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
Just use Trimix ... the helium will allow you to float to shore :eyebrow:

Or you may get really lucky. Take off your bcd, give it a shove with a wave under it towards the beach, wait for the next set and get righteously barreled right up on the beach. Fricken' yeah!! what a way to end a dive.

They say experience is the best teacher. I made the mistake once last year of diving in bad surf at Back Beach with my wife.

We got the crap beat out of us trying to get out. We were not seriously hurt but we literally were tossed around like being inside a washing machine. The waves were not more than 3 or 4 feet.

This sports a lot of fun, why ruin it by doing something where you or your partner could get hurt?

If it's bad at Folly, it will be worse at Back beach Made the mistake a couple years ago of trying to dive Back Beach when conditions were bad. Besides getting bounced around, the viz was zip.

This is not a nice sandy beach area, it's all rocks, ranging from cobble size to boulders. Not a good place to exit or enter any time, but especially in surf. Crawling out will be painfull at best.

Removing your BC and letting it float in will result in it's destruction at this site. Nothing but rocks for it get bashed to hell on.

If have to find a place to dive on Cape Ann, Stage fort park can always be dove in when seas are pounding. Though it's dangerous as divers have been known to fall asleep while diving and regs pop out of mouth site is so boring. Look, a Moon Snail! Oh, a sand dollar!

Seriously, if winds are from south, dive north side and vice versa.

Stage fort will be pretty rough since the storm is from the south and stage fort points in that direction. I would try Old Garden Beach in Rockport it is a sandy entry that is forgiving, plus depending on tide can give you some sights to see

DiverRick69:
This is not a nice sandy beach area, it's all rocks, ranging from cobble size to boulders. Not a good place to exit or enter any time, but especially in surf. Crawling out will be painfull at best.

What do the local dive shops or instructors recommend for this shore dive?

phlee:
What do the local dive shops or instructors recommend for this shore dive?

I'm sure they say don't go in with big surf.

I used to goof around and practice surf entires/exist. But, really most of the time when there is surf, the vis and surge will make the dive not worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom