Question Looking for "Mike Nelson" style mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
To go along with my "new" double-hose setup, I'm looking for a Mike Nelson style mask. I believe the originals were Voit, and I'm hoping technology has progressed a bit since then with better skirt materials.

Is it possible to get "the look" without inheriting all the nasties?

Many Thanks!

Reactions: OTF
Just yawn and flex the muscles that open the eustachian tubes like you when you climb a long grade in your car and you “pop” your ears. Same thing.
You don’t need to hold your nose.
That is the BTV technique, which I use happily.
Unfortunately this works reliably only on a small fraction of divers, roughly just 20%.

Just got this in black for 23$ Canadian dollars free shipping. Very impressed...
Nose pockets are a small for thick gloves, next problem... how to install lens to see better.

C$9.69 50%OFF | Snorkelling Mask Anti Leak Full Face Snorkel Set 180 Panoramic View Professional Classic Round Dive Equipment diving mask

That is the BTV technique, which I use happily.
Unfortunately this works reliably only on a small fraction of divers, roughly just 20%.
If a person can learn this technique it is the best one. It is the most natural and your ears will never get over pressurized and won’t fill with fluid from trauma caused by constantly pumping your ears with air by holding your nose.

I found a source while I was looking for a vintage blue oval mask as older ones were difficult to find for awhile. Try SeaVenger out of California-and search vintage style oval masks. Yes they are silicone, quite comfortable and fit almost any face. …different color combinations as well. Mine is Cobalt w/Yellow Rim ( wish they had a chrome rim, but yellow OK ) ..yes metal rim and eq. pockets as my ears can be difficult sometimes, rim is not plastic and will compliment your vintage gear. I have one 😀. ( the one you see w/my rebuilt Drager ( shown ) is actually vintage Voit oval mask…looks similar ).

Scott G. Bonser
giantfroginthepool

Back
Top Bottom