How to get over nerves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask around for a club you can join that dives locally. A good mentor (or two, or three, or . . . ) and regular diving will make all the difference in the world.

Rather than nervous maybe it is excitement? I get excited thinking about going diving, I know after I have not been for a while the first dive I blow through a tank pretty quickly. After 2 or 3 more dives everything seems to settle down and my SAC drops to acceptable levels.

Taking the refresher course is a very good call.

Another thing is to think of it. How is it so very bad if you do burn through your air really quickly? The worst that can happen is that you will have to come up sooner than anyone else. Embarrassing maybe, but not the end of the world.

Another suggestion was doing some pool dives. I think that would help also. You want to take a low stress, easy, even very boring dive or two or three. It is hard not to relax when you are bored. Such practice will probably make it easier for you to relax.

Remember being good on air is all about relaxing. It is almost like meditation. My wife, who is really, really good on air says she relaxes so much that she can almost fall asleep (which is perhaps taking it a little too far).

All good advice. I'd suggest a little zen exercise. After your refresher, take a tank of air and just sit on the bottom in the deep end. Concentrate on your breathing. Relax. Listen to your exhalations. Slow, deep breaths, long slow exhalations. Pause, inhale. Focus on the air entering your lungs and the exhalations bubbling out of your reg. Let your mind wander. Feel the lift as your lungs fill and the drop as you slowly exhale. Slow your breathing to feel all these things.

I agree with Hallmac.

When my wife and I first got certified which was only a couple years ago she was very nervous we did some dives in the Keys after being certified, And she was still very nervous. After we came back to Indiana I would take her down in a local Quarry and I would tell her she was leading and to just do what ever she wanted. First she just went down and kneeled down on the platform then eventually started relaxing and doing a little more exploring but it had do be on here terms and go along on her comfort level.

As others have said you need to figure out how to relax. A lot of people are not trusting of the regulator / air supply so they get tense about it. A lot of people are scared on their first skydive. It has two things that many people are inherently afraid of, falling and loud noise. Those who conquer that fear are working at it. Some people when they learn to rappel are very afraid, falling again. Again, trusting the equipment.
A good way to conquer is to learn all you can about the equipment. Learn how it works and why it's safe.
The water in the mask certainly wasn't doing you any favor. It's sloshing around can be very discomforting. It going up your nose can be very panicky. Possibly you were'nt aware of it, being a new diver. It's amazing how much tunnel vision a person can have when they are new to an activity.
As far as being a little afraid of that next dive reminds me of something I learned a long time ago. Many many adults persecute themselves between to thieves, regret for the past and fear of the future. Only you can talk yourself out of that.
Experience with good , fun dives is a very positive thing. Diving more to gain experience is great as well.
I am not sure if you started that dive a few years ago with apprehension or anxiety but one thing that is very discocerting to a lot of people is " is this thing gonna work when I descend?" . On thing I tell people to do is let some air out of your BCD and descend just enough to get your head below the surface and breathe . You will see that it is either working or not. Obviously you already tested it on the boat or shore but it's truth or dare time and you only feel that confidence when your head is completely submerged. If something doesn't feel right just push the inflate button.
If the inflate button doesn't get you to the surface you did not do a predive check to make sure it worked properly. No big deal though, just give a kick and oral inflate and determine what is wrong. Maybe the QD fitting popped off or something.
Learn from your mistakes. Relax, cooler heads prevail.
Take an advanced diving course. Find a good buddy. Read , read ,read.

Dive safe.

There is nothing to think about before your refresher course

Afterwards just the stigma of uproarious laughter from divers
if you don't dive Cancun.

astronaut:
So my question is: how can I make myself confident and relaxed so I won't start worrying and therefore burn my air too fast? What are some suggestions from the more experienced divers here?

I'm a big believer in snorkeling to get comfortable with being in the water and enjoying observing the life. Probably it's because I love to snorkel!

I do think that if you take your mask and fins out for a few hours several times before you do your dive, you're more likely to be happy diving too. But I have no real evidence for it. Last time I was snorkeling I was a little sad because I felt like I'd lost my taste for snorkeling due to diving ... then I came across an octopus who lived under a rock in less than 4' of water!

Osric

IMG_4171_Snorkel_Octo.jpg

I know that in my own case I have reasonable air consumption when I am in a quarry but go through air quickly when forced to swim in a current. This is due to less than optimum fitness ( OK, I am fat). While it is not reasonable to expect quick fitness improvements prior to going on a trip you can tailor your diving to reduce workload which may pay off in less air consumption, even if you are fit.

On one dive I suggested to my very fit, in shape wife (whom I frequently inform that my being round is a shape) was that to get a longer dive on the deep dive we were about to do in a bit of a current we should simply spend the dive on the anchor line. Not only did we get a reasonable dive time we noticed the behaviour of the sea life. We saw a shark, turtle and rays that had not ventured near the line when the other divers descended and spread out like a mob calmed down after everyone swam away and started to swim near the line. Even the smaller fish emerged from their hiding spots.

The thing we learned on that dive is that observing the wildlife underwater is not dependant upon how much ground you cover but how well you blend in with the environment.

Everybody is right, that more diving will help you be more comfortable.

But I think there are some specific things you can do for your trip. First off, talk to the dive operator you are using, and see if you can go there the day before the dives and look at the equipment. (I'm assuming you are renting.) Make sure you have a BC that fits you, and check out how everything works. Learn the layout of the inflator, and where all the alternate dump valves are. If AT ALL possible, take the gear in the water and determine correct weighting -- being at least within a couple of pounds of the right weight will make you far more comfortable.

The day of the dive, make sure you arrive early, so there is no time pressure adding to the adrenaline. Be really careful to be sure you have everything you need, so you don't end up stressed by having forgotten something. Try to be one of the first to gear up, so you can sit for a few moments before getting in the water, and breath quietly and visualize a great dive.

You may not be able to do a great deal about the nerves that come from your prior experience, but you can improve things a lot if you control all the factors that you can, that can add anxiety to the day.

Have fun -- it's warm, blue water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom